Vox is a user’s guide to the news produced by the reporters and subject issue experts who know it best. Over the past 18 months, we’ve made audio journalism a central part of that mission. And now we’re looking for an executive producer for our most ambitious foray into this space yet: a daily news explainer podcast.
In this role, you’ll help conceptualize the format, structure, and sound of the show as we gear up for launch. Once the show is up and running, you’ll supervise the staff and lead daily production (Monday through Friday). You’ll work closely with the host on the editorial agenda (host job listing found here), set assignments and deadlines, edit stories and segments, ensure the show’s quality, and oversee daily publishing.
More broadly, the EP of this show will be responsible, alongside the host, for creating a show that sees unusual angles and interesting stories everywhere; that is genuinely, joyously interested in pretty much everything; and that is relentless in doing the work to make complicated, important topics clear and interesting.
To that end, the right candidate for this role will be a voracious learner who finds themselves obsessed with digging into everything from the inner workings of the Trump White House to the latest developments in lab-grown meats to the debates over gentrification and zoning policy.
Vox values thinkers, creatives, and obsessives from all backgrounds. We are looking to hire the right person — not the right résumé. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC.
Do not wait to apply. Because of Labor Day weekend, applications have been extended to Wednesday, September 13, 2017
PLEASE NOTE: Your application should include a brief assessment of the daily news podcast landscape, in 3-4 paragraphs. What's working, what's missing, and how would you improve it? What are your expectations for a daily news explainer podcast from Vox?
- Establish daily editorial agenda in consultation with staff.
- Create daily program rundown.
- Set assignments for show staff and freelancers.
- Work with producers and host to facilitate on-time delivery of high-quality stories and segments.
- Work with host on script and oversee host tracking.
- Provide final editorial sign-off on each day’s show, ensuring it meets Vox.com’s high journalistic and creative standards.
- Coordinate with engineers on booking and use of studios and production equipment.
- Facilitate regular evaluation and feedback of show’s format, structure, and sound with show’s staff.
- Establish a culture of experimentation, lead evolution of the show’s sound over time.
- Set objectives for audience growth in conjunction with senior leaders.
- Assist Vox.com’s director of programming and Vox Media’s EP of audio with staff recruitment and hiring as needed.
- Oversee the show’s budget, staff scheduling, and staff evaluation.
What you’ll bring:
- Experience as the showrunner or creative lead for a successful podcast or broadcast news program.
- Experience in newsroom management, or as the leader of a team tasked with daily news production.
- A portfolio that demonstrates an ear for great tape and inventive approaches to audio storytelling.
- Experience coaching and developing host talent.
- A track record of developing content that draws on diverse perspectives/source lists.
- Strong collaborative skills, as well as the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to help employees grow and thrive in their work.
- Willingness to relocate to Washington, DC.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.