Vox Media builds smart media brands people love, empowering trusted digital voices with proprietary technology to create and distribute stories to an audience of hundreds of millions of young adults worldwide. Vox Media is eight distinct brands: The Verge (Technology and Culture), Vox (General News), SB Nation (Sports), Eater (Food and Nightlife), Polygon (Gaming), Racked (Shopping), Eater (Food and Nightlife), Curbed (Real Estate and Home), and Recode (Technology and Business).
As a software engineer focused in Site Reliability Engineering, you will report to the Director of Systems Engineering and be responsible for reliability, scalability, performance, and automation capabilities of our core infrastructure. You’ll work with a dynamic team to help build out and manage our on-premise and cloud infrastructure as well as partner with other engineers to build and support tooling specializing in centralized logging, monitoring, alerting, configuration management and provisioning
- BS degree in Computer Science, or related technical field or 3+ years industry experience
- Scripting wizardry and an adept command of bash
- Strong experience with AWS or similar public cloud technologies
- Strong experience with Chef, Puppet, or similar configuration management and automation systems
- Development Experience with at least one of these languages: Perl, Ruby, Go, Groovy, Python
- Experience with performance monitoring, troubleshooting and site reliability for a high traffic site
- Willingness to be on an on-call rotation
- Proficiency with microservices, Docker, and container orchestration
- Proficiency with relational and key-value databases (ie. MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, Memcache)
- Experience with monitoring tools such as NewRelic, Splunk, Graphite, Nagios, and Sensu
- Deep knowledge of CI/CD tools, infrastructure and processes using Jenkins
- Ability to debug and optimize code
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Worked on small development teams and with remote team members
For more on the things we're building and problems we're solving, and what it's like to work on the Vox product team, see our product team blog.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Candidates can be based out of either of our main offices— in New York City, Washington, DC, Austin, TX— or may work remote from anywhere within the major US timezones (Eastern, Mountain, Central, Pacific). There is limited travel to our main offices, once a quarter, and once a year to our Product team off-site event.
Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.