Design Director of Product
Vox Media builds smart media brands people love, empowering trusted digital voices with proprietary technology to create and distribute stories to an audience of hundreds of millions of young adults worldwide. Vox Media is eight distinct brands: The Verge (Technology and Culture), Vox (General News), SB Nation (Sports), Eater (Food and Nightlife), Polygon (Gaming), Racked (Shopping), Eater (Food and Nightlife), Curbed (Real Estate and Home), and Recode (Technology and Business).
We're seeking an experienced designer who can be a design lead on our product group. The ideal candidate has extensive product design experience with consumer products, a deep understanding of user experience, experience creating and adapting a design style guide, and a desire to build software that amplifies the work of editorial teams. A Design Director is a mentor, a collaborator, and the source of forward momentum for a team.
This role will help define strategy in many of our most important product initiatives. You will work with a team of designers and the Executive Design Director of Platform to shape how our content appears across different partner platforms, how we leverage search in our UX strategy, and explore new content delivery avenues for our editorial teams. You will also help us craft new software to empower our internal users to better leverage data and create, manage and publish videos. This role will cut across multiple subject areas and will allow you to manage and lead a team while still contributing strong design work.
- Lead design on the platform through hands-on work, process definition, and documentation
- Drive for consensus and establish strategy across multiple projects.
- Collect and distribute usability studies, research, and user feedback
- Work with editorial teams to deliver user experiences that are powerful, efficient, and delightful
- Grow, document, and maintain design systems that are flexible and robust
- You have experience leading a team of designers
- You have examples of strong product and interaction work in your portfolio
- You have experience implementing and developing unified design systems
- You have exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- You have experience working with user research and data to inform decisions
- You understand how to facilitate rapid iteration of products
For more on the things we're building and problems we're solving, and what it's like to work on the Vox Product Team, see our Product Team blog.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.