The Verge is hiring a talented Senior Editor, Search, with deep subject-matter expertise in technology to help our newsroom find the best angle on the stories our audience is searching for. You’ll work alongside our editors and writers to find, assign, commission, and occasionally write high-quality stories. From news stories to explainers, you’ll help the Verge better explain big complex concepts to our audience.
You will work with our Managing Editor, News team, and Audience team to develop content strategies around day-to-day news and evergreen stories and tentpole items like events and seasonal trends to grow in search.
WHO WE ARE
The Verge is an ambitious multimedia effort founded in 2011 to examine how technology will change life in the future for a massive mainstream audience.
The Verge is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Assign, commission, and edit stories to meet our audience’s demand as revealed by SEO data: particularly explainers, evergreen, and news stories based on the trends our readers are searching for
- Overdeliver in quality and execution to help convert our search audience to dedicated readers of The Verge
- Utilize Google’s suite of tools, in addition to third-party tools and data sources, to research and identify growth opportunities within the search ecosystem for The Verge and pitch those opportunities to editors as stories
- Assist editorial teams in developing and implementing sound SEO strategies based on this research, for both evergreen content areas and in times of peak interest
- Collaborate with editorial leadership to develop a process for making changes to SEO-impacting metadata on published content in real-time, e.g. inline links, headers, headlines, and more
- Develop and maintain a feedback loop for editorial recommendations and perform “deep dives” into performance against SEO and other editorial priorities
- Keep abreast of changes in search results pages, and Google and SEO more broadly, that both impact our existing audience and present new opportunities for growth
- Scale impact of SEO best practices by designing and leading network-specific SEO training for editorial leadership and staff
- Research emerging best practices in Google, SEO, GA to update a catalog of search documentation, build a library of best-practices, and inform necessary staff
WHO YOU ARE
- You are passionate about The Verge and its core content areas and have experience working in a fast moving, fluid editorial environment
- You have an editorial eye and are comfortable pitching story ideas to senior-level editors
- You have exceptional communication skills and can work with a wide variety of experience levels and personalities
- You are analytical and have experience uncovering opportunities and optimizing content via various data points
- You are curious and willing to recommend and test new SEO tactics and strategies to grow search
- You’re able to manage multiple tracks of work at once, balancing both short-term and long-term projects simultaneously
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.