We’re looking for a strategic and experienced SEO Director to join the POPSUGAR team within Vox Media. As the leader of this critical initiative, you will oversee all SEO strategy, best practices, and projects focused on search traffic growth (content and product) for POPSUGAR. In this role, you’ll partner closely with brand leadership and will collaborate across Vox SEO, commerce, and product teams. If you have a knack for marrying content instincts with SEO best practices, thrive on streamlining processes, and have experience guiding SEO strategy for a large, fast-moving content team, we want to talk to you.
WHO WE ARE
POPSUGAR is the go-to destination for diverse and undeniably cool women who crave wit and honesty in their everyday lives — from a fresh take on wellness, to the state of abortion rights, to deep dives on entertainment.
POPSUGAR is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Guide long and short term SEO strategy across POPSUGAR, identifying new best practices to put into place, experiments to try, and areas for opportunity
- Create and implement a system for maintaining content archive and assigning content updates to editors on a rolling basis
- Leverage SEO insights to make
- Use tools like Keywords Everywhere, SEMRush, Ahrefs, Google Search Console, and Google Analytics to execute competitive analysis, deep dives, keyword research, and general data analysis
- Work closely with POPSUGAR editors to ensure all content is meeting SEO best practices via SEO editing as pertains to URLs, meta descriptions, SEO Titles, keyword research
- Create regular trainings on best practices for editorial staff targeting areas for improvement
- Keep abreast of the latest SEO developments, algorithm changes, and products
- Partner closely with Vox SEO team and PS and Vox commerce teams on implementing strategy shifts, technical fixes, and experiments
- Create and maintain robust documentation around POPSUGAR’s SEO strategy and best practices
- Hitting monthly publication and traffic goals as pertains to SEO and improving SERP rankings, with the goal of 70% of all POPSUGAR traffic coming from search
- Improving search traffic and rankings on evergreen content and content that falls under seasonal tentpoles, tracked by sessions coming from search to new and existing content as well as measuring changes in search ranking for updated content
- Representing SEO Team as part of Site Leads within POPSUGAR, and in external meetings with Group 9
- Reporting on POPSUGAR search traffic on a regular basis
- Creating regular SEO trainings for POPSUGAR editors and staff
WHO YOU ARE
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in product management/online publishing, or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in search engine optimization for content organizations
- Excellent writing, editing and organizational skills
- Proven ability to increase search traffic and SERP rankings
- Experience with SEO tools, specifically Ahrefs, SEMRush, Google Search Console, and Google Analytics (or equivalent)
- Ability to translate site data into actionable content direction
- Familiarity with web traffic trends and environment
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
- Experience working and managing a team
- Ability to stay ahead of trends and adapt to a constantly changing digital landscape
- Advanced Analytics and HTML skills
- Ability to present on SEO tactics with gravitas and clarity to PS team and central stakeholders
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (email@example.com).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.