COUNSEL (ADVERTISING, EVENTS, AND MARKETING)
WHO WE ARE
The Legal & Business Affairs team of Vox Media has an opening for a Counsel position who will be responsible for a wide array of revenue-related transactions. We’re looking for a business-minded attorney who has familiarity with digital advertising, custom or branded content, event sponsorships, and/or experiential activations and who can also act as a utility player for a high-performing legal team. This position reports to the Senior Counsel II - Advertising, Events, and Marketing while working closely with other members of the Legal & Business Affairs department, as well as internal business teams. This position is perfect for an attorney who can work within a team and who has had exposure to a broad range of transactional matters relevant to a digital media publisher. While this is listed as a New York position, we are considering candidates who are regional to NYC in order to allow periodic travel to Vox Media’s New York City offices.
The Legal and Business Affairs department is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Draft, negotiate and/or review digital advertising insertion orders and custom content agreements for the creation and distribution of advertising content across varied media and formats.
- Draft, negotiate and/or review vendor, sponsorship, and events-related agreements to support Vox Media’s tentpole conferences, internal and external events and experiential activations, and other marketing initiatives.
- Provide legal support for the production of branded content, including talent and influencer agreements, and production and professional services agreements.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with a wide variety of Vox Media business units, to support business initiatives.
- Support efforts to create efficiencies for various lines of business, including developing policies, processes, templates, assessment of content-related regulations, best practices, and other general support as needed.
- Conduct legal research on a variety of issues as needed.
WHO YOU ARE
- A law degree from an ABA-accredited law school is required and must be a member in good standing of at least one state bar.
- 3+ years relevant legal and/or business affairs experience, preferably in-house or at a law firm working in media, digital media, and/or entertainment industry(ies).
- Excellent drafting, negotiating, problem solving, and communications skills.
- Practical approach to balancing legal risk with the ability to formulate creative solutions to accomplish business objectives.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects, a wide range of contracts, prioritize, and meet deadlines within a fast-paced business environment.
- Ability to quickly digest and understand complex products and services, while identifying key issues and risks.
- Experience working in a cross-departmental, cross-functional role requiring excellent client relationship skills, including the ability to independently solicit the advice and input of different stakeholders as necessary and appropriate.
- Professional, personable, approachable and courteous demeanor.
- Creative, collaborative, 'roll up your sleeves type' of team player, who can function independently.
- Curious and inquisitive personality and ability to adapt to unforeseen or new situations.
- Experience negotiating and drafting talent and/or influencer agreements for commercial content.
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is either based in NYC or regional to NYC in order to allow periodic travel to Vox Media’s New York City offices. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.