As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Eater is looking for an experienced reporter and editor to oversee Eater Twin Cities, one of its marquee publications. The person in this role will have a strong sense of the culture in the cities, the communities that weave its unique fabric, and the ways that social issues intersect with the restaurant, food, and bar industries. They will be eager to be on the ground, telling the stories of the people who make the Twin Cities dining scene interesting and unforgettable. This editor will care equally about new businesses and those that have demonstrated longevity and resilience across decades.
Here’s what you’ll do: The Eater Twin Cities editor will guide day-to-day coverage of the site and its overall sensibility, including its mix of news stories, service-focused maps and guides, and short features. The editor is responsible for audience growth and engagement, as well as impact and relevance in the community; stories should not all focus on one area or subject — the editor should have the range to cover the bar and hospitality industries, COVID policy changes, and labor and social justice narratives, too. The role also includes assigning, editing, and packaging freelance pieces; taking ownership of high-touch service maps like the Eater 38; and scheduling/strategizing for social media and the Eater Twin Cities newsletter.
This is a part-time, union position.
What you’ll do:
- Have a vision of the food and restaurant culture in the Twin Cities and Eater’s approach to covering it
- Oversee all of the site’s content, from news, maps and guides, to longer-lead reporting
- Maintain a wide network of sources both inside and outside Minneapolis and Saint Paul restaurant brands
- Direct coverage of the unveiling crisis surrounding COVID-19 and its impact on the Minneapolis and Saint Paul restaurant community
- Ensure all copy onsite is copy edited and meets our style guide and editorial standards
- Ensure all posts are SEO optimized and that headlines meet Eater’s standards
- Assign and edit the work of freelancers; ensure a freelancer pool that reflects the diverse demographic of voices in your city
- Manage social media production and strategy for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and newsletters for Eater Seattle, keeping in line with Eater's standards
- Participate in cross-brand promotional efforts and collaboration with the national Eater.com team as communicated by other team managers
- Occasionally appear on panels, radio, and other public appearance as appropriate for the brand
What you'll bring:
- Diverse journalism experience, particularly with breaking daily news, developing sources and covering a beat, as well as editing copy
- Comfort with cold calling and the fast pace of digital news, as well as a sense of urgency
- A drive to continue Eater’s reputation as the number one source furthering the conversations about the restaurant world in your city
- A drive to predict vs. react to the news cycle; an ability to create proactive vs. reactive narratives about the restaurant industry
- Attention to detail, news judgment, story packaging, and careful eye for accuracy
- Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, and social media publishing
- A love for restaurants and knowledge of the local scene and at the very least a voracious hunger to become an expert in the industry
- Excellent organizational skills, focus, and the ability to work independently
- Impeccable grammar and attention to detail with an eye toward clean copy
- Comfort with adapting to new content management systems
Bonus points for:
- Experience covering business, real estate, hospitality, or legal matters
- Experience with writing and/or editing long-lead, high-touch feature stories
- Experience finding, managing, and editing other writers
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, part-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Vox Media is dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees. All employees in our offices are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have an approved religious or medical exemption. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, including submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and wearing a face covering in our offices.
Please note that our Recruiting Team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, and we will never contact you via text message.