As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox.com is a user's guide to the news, helping readers make sense of everything from the Covid-19 pandemic to the protests against police brutality to the Biden administration’s policy agenda. We want to create the single best resource for news consumers anywhere.
Our Future Perfect section is an especially exciting place for that mission to come alive. Future Perfect covers the world through a particular prism: What are the best ways to do good in this world? Inspired and informed by effective altruism, Future Perfect strives to shine a light on neglected stories that have, or will have, a profound impact on the lives of billions of humans and animals.
Among our key subject areas include global poverty and public health, the catastrophic and existential threats that we face, animal welfare and factory farming, the philosophies and practices surrounding philanthropy and altruism, and the moral and ethical questions that underpin individual and policy choices.
Since its launch in 2018, Future Perfect has developed a loyal following for its idiosyncratic, mission-driven approach to news. Our coverage is animated by a baseline question: what’s truly important that we need to cover -- not what’s in the news, not what’s trending on Twitter, but the stories that we think truly matter for human and animal lives? True to the name of the vertical, we constantly ask ourselves: In 10, 20, 30 years, what will we look back on and wish we devoted more time covering? Then we go ahead and do those stories today.
This fall, we’re hiring three fellows to help us ensure Future Perfect is telling the most important stories to our audience and approaching those stories with nuance and discernment. The fellowship is a one-year, full-time, salaried position (with benefits).
The Future Perfect Fellowship is a perfect opportunity for emerging journalism talent, subject-matter experts looking to move into journalism, or established journalists who want to switch beats or gain expertise on a new platform.
The fellowship will be a year-long program to provide extensive training and mentorship along with opportunities above and beyond that of traditional entry-level/intern positions. Aside from intensive feedback from editors, fellows will also have dedicated mentors, exclusive networking opportunities, brown bag sessions featuring management throughout Vox Media, and the chance to attend one professional conference per year, such as NABJ, NAHJ, SRCCON, NICAR, or EA Global.
We’re looking for someone with:
- A demonstrated passion for and familiarity with Future Perfect’s areas of coverage, including global poverty and public health; climate change, pandemics, and other catastrophic threats to humanity; animal welfare; moral philosophy; effective altruism more broadly; and philanthropy
- An interest in explanatory journalism
- Previous newsroom experience (including college papers) or comparable experience in another field — we have had great luck turning lawyers, think tank staffers, scientists and other subject-matter experts into great journalists
- Tenacious curiosity and a creative approach to storytelling, including an interest in telling stories about the world through the Future Perfect lens
What you’ll do:
- Produce distinct Future Perfect content
- Participate in story meetings and pitch fresh ideas
- Work with editors to shape and improve content
- Explore ways to tell Future Perfect stories across other Vox platforms, including audio and video
- Participate in skill shares, training, and mentorship opportunities with fellowship cohort from across the company, including fellows from The Verge and New York Magazine
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter that includes the following by August 4th, 2021:
- The essential and unique perspective you’ll bring to Future Perfect
- Three story ideas you’d like to pursue if given the fellowship. Include the idea, who you’d interview, what angle you’d take, and a suggested headline/title.
Our next class of fellows will begin in October.
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.