As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Are you a news junkie with a great ear for tape and the desire to help define and grow Vox’s approach to explaining the news in audio?
Vox is looking for an Editorial Director, News to work closely with award-winning Today, Explained as well as our growing team of audio journalists across 12 podcasts. Working across Vox’s large slate of podcasts you’ll set the editorial direction for Vox’s news coverage working with senior producers and hosts on episode topics, identifying the best guests to book, and execution of the shows. The ideal candidate will bring great editorial judgement, newsroom leadership experience, and a creative, innovative approach to audio journalism.
The Editorial Director, News will work closely with the VP of Audio to oversee Vox’s strong and growing portfolio of news audio content, think creatively about how to expand our coverage, and ensure that every show we put out passes the highest bar of editorial excellence.
The Editorial Director will take the lead on defining how Vox podcasts plan for and respond to defining moments in news that can best be explained in audio. We’re looking for someone with a keen editorial sensibility and thoughts about how to further Vox’s mission as the original home of explainer journalism.
You’ll lead a daily news meeting, plan for upcoming coverage of news events, coordinate with our show leaders to produce special packages and journalism-driven original reporting. Working closely with the Vox newsroom, the Editorial Director will strengthen Vox’s approach to explanatory journalism across a range of podcasts. You’ll assess our shows’ vision and mission, refresh and strengthen programming, and implement plans for ongoing improvement. This could mean everything from digging in with a news team to create definitive coverage of climate change, working closely with a specific show team to ensure our content is produced at a high level or developing new series. The editorial director will also be responsible for creating a culture of review, helping to generate editorial insights and communicate them in a regular feedback loop.
We’re looking for a journalist with a keen sense of quality audio programming and the ability to understand and foster Vox’s approach to explanatory journalism, production and processes as we continue to grow our shows. Experience shaping narrative work, managing reporters, hosts and producers would be valuable. Comfort working in a fast-paced environment, ability to pivot quickly and comfort leading strategic project teams are also key qualities we’re seeking.
This role would benefit from experience working in daily news. We’re interested in an editorial leader, so although there may be opportunities to dig into tape, that’s not the focus of this leadership role.
Vox values thinkers, creatives, and obsessives from all backgrounds. We are looking to hire the right person — not the right résumé. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
What you’ll bring:
- Experience developing original journalism-focused audio content
- Experience setting editorial agendas and coordinating coverage of high-profile stories
- Experience working and providing feedback to top editorial talent
- Ability to coach and develop host talent and show concepts across a range of show types, from interview-driven talk to limited-run narrative series.
- Great editorial judgment and instincts
- Strong collaborative skills, as well as the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively
- Experience managing budgets and freelance contributors.
- A track record of developing and managing shows and episodes that draw on diverse perspectives/source lists
- Great team player that is able to both coach direct reports and work collaboratively across teams and departments (with staff who do not report to you)
- Interest in explanatory journalism, big ideas, and driving conversation
- Experience successfully growing audience and business goals
What you’ll be doing:
- Assist with day-to-day management of Vox Audio teams and work
- Provide hands-on editorial direction across Vox’s news podcast portfolio, including Today, Explained, Recode Daily and potential additional shows as we grow.
- Work with hosts and producers to define strategies for telling stories and exploring topics that would be valuable to the shows and Vox’s mission.
- Grow our audience in both traditional and experimental ways.
- Develop editorial processes for a growing slate of shows, including planning and feedback loops
- Manage budgets for shows including negotiating studio fees and working with freelancers as needed.
- Manage a growing team of hosts, producers, editors, fact-checkers and reporters
- Coach editors, hosts, producers and mentor their development
- Ensure shows meet Vox’s high journalistic and creative standards.
- Collaborate with Vox journalists, show hosts and talent and help them develop their on-air skills and ideas.
- Pitch new series and audio projects when budget and staff resources allow.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.