As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Eater is looking for an experienced reporter to contribute news stories, features, and maps to our New York city site, one of its marquee publications. This is a part-time, union position with benefits.
What you’ll do:
- Have an understanding of the food and restaurant culture in New York
- Contribute to daily news stories, in-depth features, and service-oriented pieces such as maps and guides
- Help the NY team meet its editorial calendar requirements and goals
- Assist with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and newsletters for Eater NY, keeping in line with Eater's standards
- Participate in cross-brand efforts and collaboration with the national Eater.com team as needed, and collaboration with NY’s own team on packages and larger stories
- Ensure all copy produced meets our style guide, SEO goals, and editorial standards
- Track openings and develop sources including chefs, restaurateurs, relevant spokespeople, and alternative sources for coverage as needed
- Direct coverage of the unveiling crisis surrounding COVID-19 and its impact on the New York restaurant community
What you'll bring:
- Experience in journalism, particularly with breaking daily news, developing sources, and covering a beat. Experience covering restaurants, hospitality, or real estate a plus.
- Ideas for and the ability to execute ambitious storytelling
- Ability to juggle daily news coverage with ongoing enterprise stories while adhering to deadlines
- Comfort with cold calling, quick deadlines, and a sense of urgency surrounding the fast pace of digital news
- A drive to continue Eater’s reputation as the number one source furthering the conversations about the restaurant world in your city
- A drive to predict vs. react to the news cycle
- Attention to detail, news judgement, and careful eye for accuracy
- A desire and interest in covering communities and cultivating diverse sources. Fluency in languages other than English is a strong asset.
- Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, and social media publishing
- A love for restaurants and knowledge of the local scene and at the very least a voracious hunger to become an expert in the industry
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, part-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.