As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox.com is a user's guide to the news, helping readers make sense of everything from the Covid-19 pandemic to the protests against police brutality to the Biden administration. We want to create the single best resource for news consumers anywhere.
To that end, Vox is looking for a deputy editor for our science team. We want a self-starter who will help guide our news-driven explainers and features; commission sharp, timely pieces from experts and freelancers; and occasionally write stories.
This aggressive editor will help the science editor plan day-to-day coverage, primarily by assigning, developing, and editing stories with staff writers. Editorial duties will encompass coverage of health and science, with a strong preference for someone who has expertise in climate science and policy and the clean energy transition.
We’re looking for someone with:
- At least 3 years of editing experience, or equivalent
- Strong managerial and communication skills
- Excellent news judgment
- Concise and clever headline writing skills
- A demonstrated ability to bring analysis and sharp angles to news stories
- Experience in and enthusiasm for diving into the scientific research literature, and the details of climate policy
- Experience in and enthusiasm for editing deeply reported features and data-driven projects
- The proofreading and fact-checking instincts of a copy editor
- A sharp eye for SEO and social media savvy
- A background covering and/or editing some combination of public health, health disparities, medical news, climate science, environmental and climate justice, psychology and other social sciences, and physics.
- Experience covering and/or editing climate science is preferred
- With the science editor, set both day-to-day coverage and broader strategic priorities for health, science, and climate coverage
- Assist in the day-to-day assigning and editing of all science team content
- Build up a stable of freelance contributors, especially in the subject areas above
- Collaborate with Vox’s visuals, podcast, video, and television teams
Washington, DC or New York City preferred
- To apply, please submit a résumé, cover letter, and 3-5 clips that you’ve edited (they can either be links or included as additional pages to your cover letter).
- In your cover letter, we’d love to get a sense of how you think, write, and edit. Please be sure to address the following questions: What appeals to you about working at Vox? What’s your approach to editing? What kind of angles do you want to pursue in the year ahead?
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.