As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
We created Vox to solve a problem in the news business. We’ve spent too much time in the media burying the important under the new. We want to explain the news to people by giving them the relevant content and context they need, when they need it and where they will find it.
To support these efforts, we’re looking for a social media manager to join our engagement team, working on strategy and off-platform storytelling. We’re looking for someone with a passion for serving the audience through journalism. The right candidate is a highly creative thinker and storyteller, with strong writing skills. You should be able to translate the Vox voice and tone to social media, track audience trends and social conversations, and make complex news accessible and informative for our audience on social media.
Tasks and responsibilities include:
- Help run Vox’s brand social accounts, leading to an increase in traffic, followers, and engagement
- Frame and package Vox stories in a creative, engaging way and develop a unique voice on our social accounts
- Serve as an audience ambassador to the newsroom, monitoring audience conversations and providing audience feedback and conversations to reporters and editors
- Develop audience engagement strategies for feature stories and special projects
- Act as a crowdsourcing expert in the newsroom, and help reporters develop crowdsourcing strategies for their projects
- Track and analyze data to help inform social platform strategy
Skills and experience our ideal candidate has:
- Prior experience running social media accounts in a newsroom
- Strong writing skills
- Creativity and a passion for new storytelling formats
- Incredible attention to detail and intolerance for errors
- Ability to concisely explain a complicated news story on social platforms
- Reporting experience is a plus
- Passion for news and social media
The social media manager will be a part of the Vox engagement team, a team of journalists whose focus is to increase traffic to the site, increase loyalty, tell off-platform stories and provide meaningful opportunities for the Vox audience to engage with Vox staff and other readers.
To apply, please submit the following items:
- A 280-character cover letter (DO NOT SEND a traditional cover letter)
- Your resume
- A list of the social accounts for a brand, media org, etc that you currently manage (or examples of posts from when you did manage)
- 3 examples of social copy you would write to promote this recent Vox story: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/22319572/joe-biden-american-rescue-plan-war-on-poverty
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.