As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
This is a dangerous time to be a journalist on the internet. Online comments are often filled with rumors, insults and threats, pushing away readers and reducing community engagement. It doesn't have to be this way.
The Coral team at Vox Media believes that healthy online conversation can exist, given the right systems and tools – and that a strong democracy depends on it. The Coral community platform now supports journalists on more than 180 news sites, helping them engage with their communities, share knowledge, empower discussions, and reduce the impact of trolls. And it doesn't share or sell anyone's data while doing it.
Coral users include The Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, New York Magazine, and the LA Times.
About the role:
As a Full Stack Engineer with the Coral team, you will work collaboratively every day in a small but focused team to improve the online commenting space by building Coral, our core commenting platform. This role brings a lot of autonomy to help shape the platform, the architecture, and the UX of online comments.
What you’ll do:
- Plan, architect, and build features for Coral (you can check out our code here: https://github.com/coralproject/talk)
- Collaborate closely with our team to integrate front and backend features in a scalable, secure, seamless and user-focused way
- Contribute to product development, working alongside the team to deliver stories and technical tasks
- Give constructive feedback to team members via code reviews and architectural reviews
- Scope and break down user stories into clear and achievable technical tasks
- Participate in video team meetings, such as daily scrums/standups, sprint planning, and estimation sessions
- Raise technical risks and tech debt to the team that could impact performance, security, or the ability to scale our tech in the future
- Contribute to and improve product and technical documentation
- Contribute to a developer culture that is transparent, supportive, and focused on delivery
- Help us make the internet a better place for everyone!
What you’ll bring:
- At least 5 years experience as a software engineer
- Expertise with Node.js
- Experience with Typescript or with other statically typed languages
- Experience with GraphQL (Relay, Apollo, or similar)
- Experience in writing testable code and corresponding tests that verify its behavior
- Experience in architecting, scaling, and delivering web applications
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work and collaborate with a team remotely
- Great documentation skills
- Courage to refactor code when necessary
- A real passion for mission-driven work
- A problem-solving mindset and a knack for troubleshooting
- Experience with and passion for open source work, ideally in the journalism space, and a want to support this industry, our company, and our clients within it
- Passion for contributing to a safe, diverse, and inclusive culture
- Passion for building great things, with a want to continually improve, be productive, and be proud of the work they deliver
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with SSR and/or NextJS
- Experience with NestJS
- Experience with MongoDB and/or Redis
- Experience with Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Experience with multi-tenant environments
- Experience working with news organizations
- Experience contributing to open source software
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
- Experience working with a remote-first team
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.