As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
We’re taking what it means to be a designer in media to new heights by building a best-in-class cross-disciplinary design team at Vox Media, from our Product Design team that builds the best platform for digital publishing in the industry, to our Brand Design Team that works across a suite of powerhouse editorial networks, to our Revenue Design Team that designs beautiful ad products and partners with our sponsors. Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. At Vox Media, you can be part of a remote friendly culture with people in New York, DC, San Francisco, Austin, New Orleans, and quite a few cities in between. Our jobs are well compensated and come with excellent and progressive benefits—including flexible hours, generous paid parental leave, and trans-inclusive healthcare.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the Role
The Consumer Products team is responsible for the customer touchpoints that pertain to our subscription products, contributions and commerce experiences. We’re looking for a designer that can contribute to our efforts as we focus on the exciting challenge of developing new business opportunities and creating the best experience for our users across our portfolio of editorial brands. Great design and user experience are essential to our ability to connect with our readers, and the Product Design team plays an important role in what we create, ensuring that our products are engaging, useful, and beautiful. This role will work across Vox Media properties with a focus on New York Magazine.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate on projects spanning a broad range including site-wide responsive template designs, subscription and promotional messaging systems and commerce experiences.
- Work through design problems from beginning to end: translate research insights into ideas that form smart solutions, sketch and prototype these ideas to quickly assess viability, and then design detailed interaction behaviors.
- Evaluate the success of existing products and features, and develop designs to support business objectives.
- Act as an advocate for the user, reader, viewer or customer in support of those business objectives.
- Be an active participant in the conversation around the strategy for Subscription messaging in our products, in both current and future form.
- Maintain other responsibilities as needed.
What you’ll bring
- 4-6 years of visual/product design experience, preferably in digital media. Editorial experience is a plus.
- Degree in Visual Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Motion, Fine Art, Architecture, or a related field of study (or work experience in lieu of degree).
- Excellent typography knowledge and skills, experience with complex typographical systems and hierarchies
- Ability to create design systems that are scalable.
- Enthusiasm and awareness of the design legacy and history of New York Magazine and its digital properties.
- Strong visual awareness and sensibility, and the ability to translate brand identities from one platform to another
- Knowledge of illustration, photography, art, image making.
- UX, UI, research, storytelling and design process and portfolio which showcases projects from beginning to end.
- Communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts.
- Respect when challenging assumptions; giving and receiving feedback with equal grace.
- Ability to work autonomously and oversee your design from beginning to end, but also equally comfortable in a collaborative environment, and willing to work with other team members when necessary.
- A people-focused design mentality.
- Excellent knowledge of the technologies used to build modern digital experiences.
- Well-rounded understanding of information architecture.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.