As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
The Editorial Director, Audience is a senior position based in New York Magazine’s editorial department and responsible for designing, charting and evolving its strategy to create lasting, meaningful relationships with our audience as New York Magazine builds its world-class subscription product. The position will report to the magazine’s Editor in Chief and work closely with senior editorial leadership, the consumer revenue team, as well as product and analytics. The successful candidate will be both entrepreneurial and strategic, visionary and collaborative, a strong journalist with a passion for analytics.
The Editorial Director, Audience will work across the entire suite of New York Magazine titles and across all platforms (print, digital, audio, social), and so will be expected to have superb news judgement, an ability to work collaboratively with senior editorial leadership, and a deep understanding of the magazine’s tone and sensibility. They will manage the magazine’s Platforms Director and oversee social strategy; increase the strength of New York Magazine’s newsletter programs; create and package content around special events; manage an editorial calendar with the subscription marketing and product teams to properly showcase our most important editorial moments; mine the archives to demonstrate the depth and richness of New York Magazine’s content; and invent new ways of connecting to and exciting readers to turn them into loyal subscribers as well as to keep existing subscribers continuously engaged.
The Editorial Director, Audience will:
- Work with network heads across verticals to generate content ideas and coverage areas that can connect with readers regularly to drive engagement, convert readers to paying subscribers and retain existing subscribers
- Manage a team that includes social media and platform editors focused on building New York Magazine’s audience.
- Keep the editorial staff informed of (and guided towards) primary metrics that drive subscription growth and retention
- Focus on building user engagement (return visits, cross-network discovery, newsletter signup) both on and off-platform.
- Closely track subscriber KPIs and analytics to help make informed recommendations about where to commit editorial resources.
- Manage our newsletter portfolio editorially, working with various editorial teams as well as the marketing team to grow the audience for current titles and search for opportunities to launch new ones.
- Oversee and evolve strategy around programming on the nymag.com homepage.
- Serve as editorial voice in reviewing marketing campaign messaging and tone to match sensibilities across acquisition, engagement and retention campaigns on all promotional platforms, including newsletters, digital ads, social campaigns and more
- Lead the editorial team's collaboration with our subscriptions marketing and product teams as we roll out new features and promotional campaigns for subscribers
- Partner with product and marketing as they roll out new initiatives and communicate with new and existing subscribers
- Bring our journalism background into promotional campaigns, highlighting value of paying for quality coverage to fans and followers
- Mine the archives to resurface classic New York stories that tell brand story collaborating with business development and legal teams
- Serve are the editorial lead for subscriber event series; choosing editorial talent and topic areas
- Experience in an editorial leadership role (a must); management experience; fluency in digital storytelling (a plus).
- An entrepreneurial spirit matched with a rigorous commitment to journalistic excellence.
- A nuanced understanding of audience data and analytics and a track record of using data to make informed decisions on content and promotion strategy
- Strong reader orientation with an ability to identify audience preferences that present opportunities that fit within New York Magazine’s editorial sensibility.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.