As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Reporting to the SVP of Ecommerce, this role will be primarily charged with managing and leading the Ecommerce Business Development team to ensure that Vox Media maintains and further grows strong strategic partnerships with all of the main affiliate networks and dozens of key affiliate retail partners.
- Foster and grow strategic relationships with key partners in order to improve and expand how we work with them for affiliate and other performance-based opportunities (i.e., email, paid social, etc) including exclusive offers for our brands. Develop a thorough understanding of key partners’ businesses including new offerings and strategic focus areas; forge strategic relationships with key senior level contacts for key partners. Conduct and prepare regular quarterly business reviews with key partners.
- Scale the growth of direct affiliate relationships with retailers / brands (including SMBs and those that are not currently affiliated) including identifying emerging retailers / product categories to watch as well as managing / growing the partnerships.
- Oversee the process of day-to-day ecommerce content production across multiple network brands and how best to review articles to maximize optimization while not sacrificing editorial integrity; manage and potentially improve this workflow for the team so that it’s done in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Manage a team of 4-6 members to continue to execute at the highest level while developing and guiding the growth of their roles; effectively organize the team and their workflow process balancing out support for all the relevant Vox Media networks and product category focus areas.
- Collaborate with commerce editorial teams across all relevant Vox Media brands (especially focused on The Verge network) to inform and recommend ecommerce optimization opportunities. Stay updated on editorial initiatives to best communicate priorities and opportunities to partners when relevant.
- Manage the communication of key affiliate opportunities by creating, improving and organizing dashboards, pipeline reports and other shared reference documents to ensure relevant stakeholders in editorial and audience development teams are up to date on the latest affiliate information on a timely basis. Proactively share insights and trends both internally and externally.
- Develop a robust understanding of our performance by product category, brand and retailer to improve optimization of affiliate links as well as growth opportunities.
- Manage ad sales / media opportunities that overlap with the affiliate business to work on solutions that work for all sides of the business. Collaborate with the revenue team on go-to-market products / offerings for key retailers / brands.
- Source and execute on content distribution / licensing partnerships with other publishers and/or platforms.
- Coordinate and stay aligned with the rest of the Ecommerce team (especially around shopping tentpole events) to communicate product and analytics needs / issues on a timely basis.
- Seek out strategic ways to grow ecommerce revenue beyond traditional channels, including new business development opportunities that can create new incremental revenue streams.
- Proactively identify, propose and vet new revenue-driving opportunities and partnerships such as onsite shopping and video / live shopping.
- A solid understanding of the ecommerce publisher business (especially in the tech space) and the competitive landscape (minimum of 3 years in the industry).
- A passion for ecommerce / online shopping including knowing who's who in the retail landscape and some established relationships with affiliate partners.
- Minimum of 7 years of business development experience and the ability to source, negotiate, close and most importantly grow partnerships, especially with large scale partners.
- Track record of leading and managing a team to meet / exceed goals and KPIs and a keen sense of how to motivate a team charged with aggressive growth goals.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience working closely with Editorial, Audience Development, Product, and Data / Analytics teams.
- A collaborative, details-oriented and highly organized work style combined with the ability to partner with multiple teams with a broad variety of abilities and expertise.
- Strong communication skills with external and internal stakeholders and colleagues, written and oral.
- Analytical mindset to problem-solving with a high level of comfort operating in a data-driven environment.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and work in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.