As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Polygon is currently seeking an Entertainment Writer to join the team! The Entertainment Writer's core responsibility is to produce critical writing, news analysis, reported interviews and features, and other creative forms of commentary that tap into the biggest cultural conversations. The writer is an entertainment omnivore, with an appetite for everything from comic book lore to Criterion releases and anything that hits #1 on Netflix. Their work informs and entertains.
The writer sets the tone for Polygon’s entertainment section by balancing week-to-week release coverage with definitive essays on film, TV, animation, and internet culture, along with off-the-cuff stories that help readers navigate the latest debates. The writer keeps a finger on the pulse of what's popular, prizes expertise and historical knowledge, and bolsters their opinion with continued education and curiosity. They're always ready to tell a story or share a new discovery.
The Entertainment Writer reports to Polygon's Film & TV Editor.
What you'll do
- Write 7-9 stories a week, a mix of news, trend pieces, timely reactions, short interviews, critical analysis, and reviews focused on the entertainment team's key areas of interest.
- Conceive, plan, and complete one longform feature each month that we won't see anywhere else.
- Contribute to recommendation coverage, including "Best of" lists and "what to watch" curation.
- Assist editors in planning and executing themed packages tied to tentpole events and topics .
- Support the general Polygon news team during a weekly shift.
- Participate in weekly brainstorms and pitch sessions, and lead team discussions when applicable.
- Flex knowledge of online publishing tools, image curation, and search practices.
- Provide local or global event coverage when assigned
- Take a proactive role in shaping coverage, scheduling content, and assessing our distribution.
- Build relationships with industry professionals, key cultural voices, and PR to bring unique opportunities to the publication.
- Be an active participant during work hours, leveraging direct and passive communication tools to create a successful workflow.
- Pitch 3-5 new stories each week, and be ready to springboard off a breaking topic.
- Help Polygon connect with new pockets of readers and increase readership year-over-year.
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
More about Vox Media:
Vox Media’s portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.