As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Vox is a user’s guide to the news produced by the reporters and subject issue experts who know it best and Today, Explained – our flagship podcast – is an audio expression of that mission: a daily news explainer that is both relentlessly reported and ground-breaking in its sonics and storytelling. And now we’re looking for a versatile and experienced audio producer who can produce compelling stories and segments to join the team of our ambitious and innovative daily news explainer podcast.
We are seeking a producer who will play multiple roles. They work closely with the team to conceptualize each day’s programming, coming up with smart pitches, booking and interviewing guests, constructing the segments, editing and scoring episodes, and possibly reporting segments yourself. The right person for this position is delighted by the idea of innovating on foundational news formats like the standard two-way, and has demonstrated a knack for taking unexpected approaches to curiosity-driven stories.
Ideally, the producer will be a voracious learner who finds themselves obsessed with domestic and global news, and enjoys digging into everything from the inner workings of the Trump White House to the latest developments in lab-grown meats to the debates over gentrification, environmental policy, and diversity in film.
What you'll do:
- Research and propose timely and distinctive story segments, write program copy
- Explain the news of the day clearly and respectfully — never underestimating the audience’s intelligence or overestimating their information
- Assemble research prep and write program copy
- Locate and book diverse sources and interviewees
- Occasional original reporting, scoring and script editing
What you’ll bring:
- Significant experience creating audio stories as part of a fast-moving, collaborative team under deadline pressure
- A portfolio that demonstrates an ear for great tape and inventive approaches to audio storytelling
- A highly organized and dogged approach to landing bookings on a fast turnaround
- Experience scripting and editing compelling, curiosity-driven stories or segments
- A track record of developing stories that draw on diverse perspectives/source lists
- Proficiency in audio mixing in ProTools
- A passion for explanatory journalism
- Creativity and a desire to push the boundaries and be innovative
- Vox values thinkers, creatives, and obsessives from all backgrounds. We are looking to hire the right person — not the right résumé. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
To Apply: Your application should include your resume and a short cover letter describing your interest in the position. Also Include links to examples of your work and descriptions of what your role was on relevant previous projects. In addition, craft two pitches for episodes of Today, Explained that you would like to produce – including the over-arching thesis, what we’ll add to the understanding of this story, who you would book as guest voices and any other specifics you think important to make the episode you envision. We look forward to speaking to you about your pitches.
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
More about Vox Media:
Vox Media’s portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.