As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios, inclusive of Epic Media, produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox Media is looking for a highly driven and creative public relations professional to join the company and oversee communications for Vox Media Studios (VMS).This position will report into Vox Media’s Vice President, Communications.
In this role you will partner with key stakeholders across Vox Media Studios to develop communications and media relations strategies that advance the business, audience development, and partnership goals for the studio's non-fiction and scripted programming across television, OTT, and audio platforms. Additionally, you will work closely with the VMS, Epic, and Vox Media Podcast Network (VMPN) teams to build out and execute strategic communications plans for company initiatives, VMS leadership and show talent, and major industry events.
What you'll do:
- Foster relationships with media, entertainment, audio, advertising and tech press to secure meaningful stories about VMS’ business and programming
- Partner with studios leadership to understand business priorities and offerings to develop communications strategies – both short-term and long-term – that reach new and existing partners, stakeholders, and audiences
- Serve as the lead communications partner for stakeholders across all aspects of our studios and audio businesses – development, production, distribution – as well as industry events, including Television Critics Association press tours, Realscreen, upfronts, awards, and film festivals
- Organize additional event opportunities in partnership with editorial, experiential, and marketing teams
- Work in partnership with the communications leads across the team to support Vox Media’s editorial networks, as it relates to their work within the studios business
- Source relevant thought leadership opportunities for Vox Media executives and VMS leadership, such as panels, earned-media, and external pods, and build out preparation materials for these opportunities
What you'll bring:
- At least 7 years experience in entertainment media, communications or a related field
- Ability to develop and execute strategic communications plans, including crisis communications, and experience with utilizing social media to bolster awareness, positioning, and interest
- Experience working and communicating with executive leadership and external partners
- Highly collaborative, enthusiasm for working with a team, and able to dive into projects and involve necessary players to ensure tight communication planning
- Ability to stretch across multiple businesses and prioritize competing timelines and demands
- Experience with industry award circuit
- Strong relationships with press in media, entertainment, tech and business publications, as well as industry event organizers preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to represent Vox Media internally and externally
- Understanding of and curiosity in the media, entertainment, advertising and tech landscapes
- Extreme attention to detail, including grammar and spelling
This is the job for you if you are:
- A collaborative spirit
- Interested in championing culture and diversity, equity & inclusion efforts
- Excited to produce well-organized, strategic, and high-quality work, often under tight deadlines
- Motivated by achieving exceptional results beyond baseline expectations
- Excited about joining a high-energy, fast-paced working environment
- You embrace change and are flexible as priorities and strategies shift
- Extremely client-service oriented
- Confident and comfortable interacting with editorial leaders and executives to provide strategic counsel and feedback
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.