The Verge is seeking a Managing Editor to oversee the daily operations of our exciting, talented, and fast-paced newsroom. Working closely with our leadership team and the rest of our edit leads, you will help The Verge meet its ambitious organizational goals and advance its thriving culture. This position reports to our Executive Editor.
While the Managing Editor will oversee many of our operational areas like hiring and budget, we’re looking for someone with a deep passion for and knowledge about the subjects at the core of The Verge’s mission. People who are excited about the future, curious but skeptical about consumer technology, and interested in where technology intersects with science and culture are highly desired. Digital media is a fast-paced and constantly changing business, and the Managing Editor will help us continue to lead the industry.
The Managing Editor role touches all parts of our organization, so we’re looking for someone with great interpersonal and communications skills who can work well with all kinds of people. People with great organizational skills, superior attention to detail, and punctuality will excel in the role. As a member of The Verge’s editorial leadership team, practicing our values of ambition, transparency, and inclusiveness is a must.
- Track The Verge’s editorial performance against our goals
- Manage our hiring process and ensure that we are meeting high standards for recruiting and inclusivity
- Manage our editorial calendar and help develop planning and process for new formats, like evergreen content
- Work with our edit leads and business development team on executing special editorial projects, like sponsored video series and events
- Keep staff at The Verge accountable to our high organizational standards, including helping managers give feedback and encouraging professional development
- Manage daily staff operations, including holiday coverage and other special circumstances
- Oversee our discretionary operations budget
- Work closely with other Vox Media operational teams, including People & Culture and Finance, and serve as the point of contact at The Verge for Vox Media operational concerns
The ideal candidate comes with:
- 2-3+ years in a senior editorial / management position at a publication
- Experience running hiring processes and recruiting
- Experience managing a budget
- Enthusiasm and passion for The Verge’s editorial mission is highly desired
- Past professional leadership or management training is a plus
About Vox Media:
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.