As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign
Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. The Vox Media house of networks includes industry-leading media forces like SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode, and Polygon, and reaches an audience of hundreds of millions, generating over a billion content views each month.
Eater is looking for an experienced editor to contribute to two sections on Eater.com: Reports, where original reporting emphasizes the site’s obsessions (food, restaurants, and how the culture of dining out touches all aspects of living in the modern world), and Travel, which identifies smart, servicey, and enlightening stories taking root in destinations around the world. These two sections focusing on in-depth, insightful coverage drive Eater’s overall mission to lead the conversation in the food and dining space, and this editing role will help identify, then execute, those stories.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with the editor, travel editor, and the rest of the Eater.com team to generate story ideas that will inform, fascinate, and surprise our audience
- Assign pieces that fall under Eater.com’s reports and travel sections, working directly with both staff and freelance writers to turn their ideas into Eater stories
- Edit stories, at the cadence of roughly two published pieces per week, taking ideas from assignment to line edit, and through social media brainstorming and copy edit
- Bring in an existing, diverse rolodex of writers to add to our mix, and continue to develop emerging voices
- Jump in to edit other packages on the editorial calendar, on an as-needed basis
Our ideal candidate
- Has at least three years experience in an editing role
- Has an ear for what makes a great story, particularly when it comes to identifying unexpected angles or undercovered subjects
- Thrives on the challenge of editing stories, from pulling out buried narratives to re-arranging structure, always with the reader’s benefit in mind
- Enjoys the two-way street of the editor-writer relationship
- Communicates clearly, thoughtfully, and empathetically
- Is a creative but meticulous thinker and editor
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.