As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign
Eater’s national site is looking for a staff writer who will keenly focus on the ins and outs of food in day-to-day news and culture coverage. This writer will be one of Eater's key voices in explaining, analyzing, and telling stories about food and drink, from next-minute reactions and second-day analysis to more in-depth features, defining the perspective of the brand on what we consume — in restaurants, on grocery store shelves, on TV and beyond. In short, this writer will focus on the “food” part of food culture.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with the daily editor and rest of the .com news team to identify potential stories and food-driven story angles, and apply an Eater-driven approach to food coverage
- Write stories of all lengths and scopes, from pieces that illuminate breaking news to voice-y, opinionated blog posts to enlightening explainers to more in-depth, reported coverage
- Generate ideas for and execute on rubrics, formats, and other storytelling tools to talk about, examine, and explain food — including specific dishes and traditions, how they’re made, and how they fit into culture — and all in a way that is consistent with the Eater brand
- Help define the way that Eater talks about food, food products, and the culture of cooking
- NOT write about home cooking recipes
Our ideal candidate:
- Is a writer driven by an intense curiosity and meticulous nearly to a fault — who can write with intelligence, verve, irreverence, and humor
- Is knowledgeable about the world of food — technical knowledge of dishes, recipes, and cooking, is a plus
- Is a font of ideas — a true creative mind
- Is looking to evolve the ways that food media writes about food, the culture of food, and the people who make it
- Enjoys the two-way street of the editor-writer relationship
- Adapts well to change
- Is really, truly not looking for a gig writing recipes or about home cooking, because this is not that
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.