As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
What you'll do:
- Help lead editor with reporting and writing of breaking news stories and reblogs as assigned
- Strive to learn and meet Eater's journalistic standards
- Assist in managing social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Track openings and keep in touch with chefs, restaurateurs, and relevant spokespeople for coverage as assigned
- Make connections with local restaurant PR, chefs, restaurateurs, and other staff to generate news leads and scoops
- Edit and write restaurant maps and roundups
- Pitch medium-length reports and occasional full-length features, or accept occasional assignments to produce those articles with the goal of producing one report per month and one feature per quarter.
- Be available for approx 4 hours a day, preferably in the mornings
What you'll bring:
- One year experience in journalism, particularly with experience covering a beat, developing sources, and breaking news
- Comfort with cold calling sources and fast pace of digital publishing
- Ability to work remotely, and travel to sources/locations as needed. Must be based in Houston.
- A drive to beat the competition
- Continue Eater's reputation as the number one source for news about the restaurant world
- Attention for detail, news judgment, story packaging, and careful eye for accuracy
- Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, and social media publishing
- A love for restaurants and knowledge of the city’s scene and greater cultural landscape
- Experience with photography and Instagram is a plus
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media: You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.