As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
What you’ll do:
The Vox Media Podcast Network (VMPN) is one of the largest, fastest growing, and most topically diverse collections of high-quality podcasts in the world. With over 200 active shows from our editorial networks and partners, we empower a portfolio of passionate and trusted voices to host important, meaningful, and entertaining conversations and stories about the news, tech, business, sports, culture, and more.
As Director, Podcast Marketing, you’ll be responsible for the strategic planning, education, and execution of all consumer and business-facing marketing efforts intended to grow the audience, engagement, and revenue of Vox Media’s podcast business.
These responsibilities include:
- Partner with leadership across VMPN, comms, and our editorial networks to build and execute cross-functional marketing and promotional plans designed to drive awareness, tune-in, and consumption for new and priority shows
- Develop marketing assets (e.g. positioning), design asset distribution plans, disseminate across all relevant platforms and channels, including podcast apps (e.g. Apple), websites, copy for promo spots, etc.
- Execute all audio-specific promotional tactics in collaboration with the Coordinator of Podcast Marketing, including scripting and scheduling of audio promos, coordination of bonus episode drops, and app promotion
- Develop, iterate, and educate editorial teams and production partners on systems, tools, and assets for promoting podcasts using their O&O channels (e.g. websites, brand and host social accounts, newsletters, etc.)
- Create and maintain sales materials and collaborate on strategic partnerships and opportunities with our advertising partners
- Partner with experiential and conferences teams on all events that include live podcast programming, including consumer-facing conferences like Recode’s Code Conference and business-facing events like our advertising upfront
- Manage marketing/promotions relationships with all consumer-facing audio partners (e.g. Apple Podcasts, Spotify, iHeartRadio, etc.)
- Identify, organize, and execute co-programming and promotional partnerships with other podcast networks alongside the Coordinator of Podcast Marketing, including all cross-promo barter arrangements, guest swaps, etc.
- Collaborate with editorial and revenue teams to prepare detailed performance reports for new and priority shows reports with strategic recommendations
- Facilitate the legal, design, and sales education processes for new shows
- Manage a small team, including the Coordinator, Podcast Marketing
What you’ll bring:
The ideal candidate has helped achieve business objectives through thoughtful marketing and communications strategies. They’re a creative thinker who enjoys challenging the status quo with a collaborative, solutions-oriented mindset. They thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and are able to learn, contribute, and grow through change. Their passion for podcasts is evident and they have insight into the industry and its key players. Experience with PR and comms is a plus but not required.
This is a full-time position based in New York that will report to VP, Comms. This role will also manage the Coordinator of Podcast Marketing and closely collaborate with the Executive Producer of Audio, VP of Revenue & Partnerships, Audio, and all editorial, comms, studios, and revenue leadership.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.