Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Vox Media has an opening for a Senior Counsel in our NY or DC office supporting the Sales, Marketing, Product, Revenue Operations, and Events groups. We are seeking a business-minded attorney with experience reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements, in particular those involving digital and podcast advertising, strategic partnerships, and technology (including ad tech), preferably in the media sector. The ideal candidate will have specific experience working on custom advertising deals involving branded content, programmatic, affiliate marketing, events, and contests and sweepstakes. Experience working on GDPR and other data privacy related matters is preferred.
In this position, you will report to the Assistant General Counsel (Revenue) and work closely with other members of the Legal Department, as well as our business teams, to review, draft, and negotiate agreements, and advise on legal and business risks and other issues related to the commercial deals you support. You will be tasked with creating, modifying, and supporting processes to achieve efficiency and scale.
What You'll Do
- Draft, negotiate, and/or review digital advertising insertion orders (including advertiser/agency amendments to the AAAA/IAB Standard Terms and Conditions) and custom agreements for the creation and distribution of advertising campaigns.
- Support complex commercial and strategic partnerships deals, drafting materials (often from scratch), and advising business partners and other internal stakeholders on legal process, best practices, and business and legal terms.
- Draft, negotiate, and/or review agreements to support the revenue organization, including programmatic, measurement, and ad representation, affiliate marketing and other commerce-related initiatives, and conference / event sponsorships and vendors.
- Advise on the company's collection and use of data and collaborate with Information Security on the company’s GDPR, CCPA, and data privacy compliance program.
- Advise on and develop sweepstakes, contests, and promotional terms.
- Prepare, implement, and refine templates for various revenue offerings.
- Maintain and update guidelines and policies, and deliver training to ensure best practices and promote a streamlined legal review process.
- Assist with reviewing, refining, and improving legal processes and procedures to improve efficiency and prioritization.
- Provide general support for the legal team (including guiding junior team members) on an as-needed basis.
What You'll Bring
- JD and admitted to practice.
- Strong transactional background, with solid drafting and negotiation skills.
- At least 3-6 years of relevant experience, preferably in-house or at a law firm.
- Experience working in a media/internet company preferred.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of legal matters including the AAAA/IAB Terms, podcast advertising, digital advertising (direct and programmatic), affiliate marketing, data privacy, rights usage, and events.
- Practical approach to legal drafting and problem solving.
- Resourceful, with a strong ability to balance legal risk with business needs.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize and meet deadlines within a fast-paced business environment.
- Ability to deal effectively with individuals at all organizational levels.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Eagerness to learn and master subject matters.
- Strong work ethic with meticulous attention to detail and quality of work product.
- Professional, approachable, and courteous demeanor.
- Creative, 'roll up your sleeves type' of team player, who can function independently.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.