Recode is launching a first-of-its kind, thrice-weekly podcast to explain the most important tech news of the week. Grounded in Recode’s personality and authority, the show will deliver in-depth stories on how technology is changing everything. We simply can no longer escape the future hurtling toward us, which is why understanding the technologies shaping our lives — and the companies creating and profiting off them — is fundamental to understanding the world we live in and the way we live in it.
The show will provide essential coverage of the stories dominating the headlines—the impact of bots on our national elections, how AI will transform the global economy, consumer response to the latest iPhone release—and will also reflect Recode’s deep industry expertise, reporting what’s on the horizon from tech’s leading thinkers.
We’re looking for an experienced Executive Producer who can build on Recode’s track record in tech podcasting to create an insightful and compelling tech news show for general interest audiences.
In this role, you’ll help conceptualize the format, structure, and sound of the show as we gear up for launch. Once the show is up and running, you’ll supervise the staff and lead production. You’ll work closely with the host on the editorial agenda, set assignments and deadlines, edit stories and segments, ensure the show’s quality, and oversee daily publishing.
The EP of this show will be responsible, alongside the host, for creating a sharp and distinctive show that explains the world through the lens of tech. The right person for this role is a close observer of tech’s key players and big ideas, has a sophisticated understanding of internet culture, and brings a critical view of the tech news landscape—plus a strong perspective on how to fill the gaps.
This is a full-time position based in New York City.
PLEASE NOTE: Your application should include a brief assessment of what is missing in the tech news podcast landscape, in 3-4 paragraphs. What is the opportunity that Recode has to fill in this space?
What you’ll do:
- Establish daily editorial agenda in consultation with staff.
- Create daily program rundown.
- Set assignments for show staff and freelancers.
- Work with producers and host to facilitate on-time delivery of high-quality stories and segments.
- Work with host on script and oversee host tracking.
- Provide final editorial sign-off on each day’s show.
- Coordinate with engineers on booking and use of studios and production equipment.
- Facilitate regular evaluation and feedback of show’s format, structure, and sound with show’s staff.
- Establish a culture of experimentation, lead evolution of the show’s sound over time.
- Set objectives for audience growth in conjunction with senior leaders.
- Assist Vox.com’s Executive Editor and Vox Media’s EP of Audio with staff recruitment and hiring as needed.
- Oversee the show’s budget, staff scheduling, and staff evaluation.
What you’ll bring:
- Significant experience as the showrunner or creative lead for a successful podcast or broadcast news program.
- Keen sense of which voices, stories, segments, and angles will make the Recode tech news podcast distinct and appealing to a mass audience.
- Experience in newsroom management, or as the leader of a team tasked with breaking news production.
- A portfolio that demonstrates an ear for great tape and inventive approaches to audio storytelling.
- Experience coaching and developing host talent.
- A track record of developing content that draws on diverse perspectives/source lists.
- Strong collaborative skills, as well as the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to help employees grow and thrive in their work.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to build something from scratch; not afraid to get involved in every piece of the production
- Willingness to relocate to New York City.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.