Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
SB Nation, the largest independent sports media network, is looking for an Editor-in-Chief to lead the flagship site.
What you’ll do:
- Directly manage flagship editorial leadership team.
- Determine the audience, voice, and purpose of SB Nation and communicate your vision clearly to the SB Nation team.
- Hire, manage, and teach editors and producers to excel at story structure, source-development, and story selection.
- Anticipate, communicate, and adjust resource needs to serve our audiences.
- Identify internal talent to cultivate and external talent to hire.
- Understand how to shape the overall voice of the network in a noisy and intense culture.
- Guide teams to make difficult and important editorial choices - when to lean into editorial risk and when to turn away, what to publish and what to pass on, etc.
- Provide perspective and work alongside SB Nation’s GM to coordinate execution on SB Nation’s business.
- Collaborate with internal resources and stakeholders to solve project specific workflows and bottlenecks.
- Escalate any new policies and processes to the SVP and Publisher to establish at a company level.
- Generate, develop, and help package IP for our content businesses.
- Work with Vox Media’s communications team to execute on communication plans.
- Work with SVP, Publisher, and Business Partners to manage budget, make structural changes, role delineations, or any other employee shifts.
What you’ll bring:
- Strong management experience and experience building inclusive teams for a high-growth, fast-paced organization.
- Passion for SB Nation’s flagship content and approach to audience and community.
- A collaborative, detail-oriented work style.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.