Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, the Vox Media Podcast Network – and most recently, The Coral Project.
This is a dangerous time to be a journalist on the internet. Online comments are often filled with insults and threats, while being present on social media can lead to horrific abuse. It doesn't have to be this way.
At Coral, we believe that healthy online conversation can exist, given the right systems and tools – and we believe that a healthy democracy depends on it.
We built our open source Talk tool to do just that. It now helps journalists at more than 25 news organizations to engage with their communities, share knowledge, empower discussions, and reduce the impact of trolls. And it doesn't share or sell anyone's data while doing it.
Current Talk users include The Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, The Intercept, New York Magazine, the National Review, and the Sydney Morning Herald.
We're looking for an experienced Full Stack Engineer to join our team to help bring our main product, Talk, into more newsrooms.
What you'll do:
- Plan, architect, and build features for Coral Talk (you can check out our code here: https://github.com/coralproject/talk)
- Collaborate closely with our team to integrate front and backend features in a scalable, secure, seamless and user-focused way
- Contribute to product development, working alongside the team to deliver stories and technical tasks
- Give constructive feedback to team members via code reviews and architectural reviews
- Scope and break down user stories into clear and achievable technical tasks
- Participate in video team meetings, such as daily scrums/standups, sprint planning, and estimation sessions
- Raise technical risks to the team that could impact performance, security, or the ability to scale our tech in the future
- Contribute to and improve product and technical documentation
- Contribute to a developer culture that is transparent, supportive, and focused on delivery
- Help us make the internet a better place for everyone!
What you'll bring:
- Expertise with Node.js and Typescript
- Expertise with a statically typed language like Typescript or Flow
- Experience with GraphQL (Relay, Apollo, or similar)
- Experience in writing testable code and corresponding tests that verifies its behavior
- Experience in architecting, scaling, and delivering web applications
- At least 5 years’ experience as a software engineer
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work and collaborate with a team remotely
- Good documentation skills
- Courage to refactor code when necessary
- A real passion for mission-driven work
- A problem-solving mindset and a knack for troubleshooting
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with MongoDB and/or Redis would be a big plus
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with multi-tenant environments is a plus
- Experience working with news organizations
- Experience contributing to open source software
- Experience with Google Cloud and/or AWS
- Experience working with a remote-first team
If you’re passionate about helping newsrooms to adopt better technology for their communities, and have relevant skills and experience, please consider applying even if your background doesn’t match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
We are a small, diverse, and dedicated team that works remotely. We want you to help us make the internet a better place for everyone.
About working at Vox Media: This is a temporary position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.