Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
About the Chorus Teams
The work of editors and creators at Vox Media today cannot effectively be met by tools designed for a decades-old media landscape. You can no longer assume anything about the way visitors are reading and viewing your work, where they encounter it, or what other shapes it might take; creators deserve tools that make the process of reporting, writing, editing, and producing content easier and more approachable. At the same time, our audiences are everywhere, and they look to us for insight through innumerable lenses and at all times. Vox Media’s Chorus teams design and build innovative new tools that facilitate both the work of editors and producers and the experience of devoted audiences.
- Engineering Managers at Vox Media are still hands-on but spend the majority of their time focused on making their teams work better.
- As an engineering manager for the Chorus team, you will prioritize and plan the work of the team in close collaboration with your engineers, the product manager and the designers.
- You will actively coach engineers on their day-to-day work and their career aspirations, conduct regular 1:1s for your reports, and evaluate their performance quarterly—setting actionable goals that help them grow in the work and move the team and company forward.
- You will remove obstacles for the team to unblock their work.
- This role will require you to recruit and hire great talent for the team by being an evangelist for the organization.
- In addition, you will help shape the direction of our tech stack to address the evolving concerns of newsrooms in a rapidly-shifting media landscape.
What We Expect
- You are a thoughtful, talented engineer who has good experience facilitating the work of their colleagues and reports.
- You have worked in a matrixed product organization, closely-coupled with designers and product managers.
- You’re a respectful and empathetic teammate who is willing to go the extra mile for others, and you care about helping us create a diverse, inclusive workforce where we respect all and practice empathy at every opportunity.
- You have some experience managing technical teams and guiding them to success, and you care deeply about the quality of your work and the team’s work.
For more on the things we're building and problems we're solving, and what it's like to work with the Product, Design & Technology teams, see our Product Team blog. In an effort to an provide an inclusive and respectful working environment, all team members adhere to our code of conduct.
Working at Vox Media
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Candidates can be based out of any of our US-based Vox Media offices, or may work remotely from anywhere within the major US timezones (Eastern, Mountain, Central, Pacific).
Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We strive to embody nine values in our daily work. We want to take risks and be ambitious while demanding quality. We believe that great collaboration happens when we can cultivate our diverse passions through an inclusive culture founded on respect. We want to be nimble enough to embrace change and celebrate our achievements.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.