Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. The Vox Media house of networks includes industry-leading media forces like SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode, Racked and Polygon, and reaches an audience of hundreds of millions, generating over a billion content views each month.
Curbed is seeking a full-time editor to run Curbed Detroit.
The ideal candidate lives in Detroit, and loves it. We’re looking for a sharp-eyed local who knows the ins and outs of the city—from transportation and urban planning to notable architecture——and keeps an eye on development projects and the best homes on the market. The right person will have a nose for news, the ability to write quickly and clearly, and a passion for keeping their neighbors informed.
You’ll work remotely in Detroit but stay connected digitally to the larger Curbed team and mission, enthusiastically working to grow the audience for your coverage and hone your digital media skill set—from photo usage and search optimization to social media and newsletters. Real-world reporting experience is a must, and local news creation, or working for a design or shelter publication, is a plus.
What you'll do:
- Report out and write up local news, strive to break news, and know when a story can be tied to something bigger
- Manage a daily publication schedule, including a mix of news, features, and service content
- Post stories and other media to Curbed Detroit’s Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Engage readers, through on-site comments and on social media
- Send a daily newsletter
- Work with Curbed colleagues on various initiatives and projects, and to improve the quality and reach of Curbed Detroit
- Vet pitches and assign stories to freelancers, and manage a monthly contributor budget
- Track and meet performance expectations, tied to both site quality and readership
What you'll bring:
- Three or more years writing or editing for a digital publication
- An eye for news, and an understanding of which stories work for Curbed
- Knowledge of real estate development, architecture, and city issues in Detroit
- An understanding of how to develop sources, and to see through PR jargon
- Familiarity with Curbed, and the ability to master Curbed's editorial voice
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently—this is a fast-paced job!
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple simultaneous projects with various lead times
- Proven experience with digital media best practices—and an enthusiasm to continue to master the tools of the trade
- One year of publishing to or managing a professional Facebook or Twitter account
- Experience working independently with limited supervision, and an eagerness to communicate and collaborate with remote coworkers
If you have a social media presence or blog you’d like to show off, definitely do: Include links in the "Social Media" field of the application.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.