Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Vox is a user's guide to the news, helping readers make sense of everything from President Donald Trump’s latest tweet to the soaring success of Crazy Rich Asians. Every day, we’re striving to deliver the best context, reporting, and analysis to the news that matters most to our readers.
Our Future Perfect section is an especially exciting place for that mission to come alive. Future Perfect covers neglected stories about subjects that have, or will have, a profound impact on the lives of millions of humans (and animals). On any given day, we might post a discussion of the ethics of using CRISPR to wipe out diseases like malaria and Lyme; an evidence review looking at the effectiveness of programs that give rural workers in developing countries cash to temporarily move to cities; and a data-based piece on the popularity of plant-based meat substitutes and their potential (or lack of potential) to cut into less humane meat production.
We’re looking for an engagement manager with extremely strong writing skills who will serve as an audience ambassador for this section.We’re looking for someone who has sharp editorial judgement and a passion for explaining complicated issues. This person should be able to communicate effective altruism topics to a generalist audience, while also ensuring that we’re serving the core effective altruist audience at the same time. This will be a 7 month contract.
What you'll do:
- Co-write and produce the twice-a-week Future Perfect newsletter
- Write 1-2 articles per week
- Craft social copy for feature stories
- Advise on best practices for both social and SEO headlines
- Be an ambassador of our coverage to effective altruism communities, with the goal of increasing awareness of our work
What you’ll bring:
- A strong writing background.
- A passion for serving the audience, whether that’s representing our audiences’ questions in editorial meetings, listening to discussions, or framing a feature in a way that will appeal to multiple audiences.
- Familiarity with effective altruism and the idea of cause prioritization, or at least intrigued and excited by the possibility of diving in and learning more.
- Experience in diving into and summarizing new and previously unfamiliar research literature, particularly in economics, psychology, sociology, political science, biology/medicine, and computer science.
- Eagerness to work in a digital-first newsroom that emphasizes clear writing, visual explanations, and collaboration between reporters, videographers, developers, and the engagement team.
About working at Vox Media: This is a full-time, temporary position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.