Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Ideal candidates for the Counsel position will have experience reviewing, editing, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of corporate and content-related agreements including work for hire, talent, consulting, vendor, rental, and other commercial and/or operational agreements, preferably in the media, news, and/or technology sectors. In this position, you will work with a variety of teams across the company, including the editorial, video and audio production, events, and corporate teams, in order to customize standard agreements, draft and negotiate agreements, advise on contractor and employment classification issues, and otherwise provide legal advice as needed.
At Vox Media, you will be part of a quickly expanding modern media company that values creativity, innovation, and the empowerment of individuals with the tools to excel. You will be working in a fast-paced, fun environment, and will take an active role assisting Vox Media to scale high-value digital journalism to reach broader audiences.
What you’ll do:
- Manage, update, and facilitate the distribution of content-related template agreements across all editorial and internal production teams.
- Draft, review, and/or negotiate key terms of standard and commercial contracts, including work for hire, contractor, vendor, talent, and events agreements.
- Advise on contractor and employment classification questions and assist internal business partners in freelancer and contractor management.
- Provide support on corporate insurance-related matters, including advising internal stakeholders of risk assessment and tolerance.
- Draft, review and approve sweepstakes, contests, and promotions.
- Interpret legal documents and provide clear and concise risk analysis, proposed solutions, and legal advice to internal business partners.
- Advise on day-to-day legal matters for the teams you support.
- Provide substantive support for the rest of the Legal team on an as-needed basis.
What you’ll bring:
- Law Degree from an Accredited University; bar admission that can be used in-house in New York State.
- At least two years of relevant legal experience.
- Experience working in-house in a media, internet, news, or publishing company preferred.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of legal matters including intellectual property, IP, production, events, sweepstakes/contests, and content creation.
- Practical approach to legal drafting and problem solving.
- Resourceful, with a strong ability to balance legal risk with business needs.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize and meet deadlines within a fast-paced business environment.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, negotiating skills, and strong legal drafting abilities.
- Strong work ethic with attention to detail and quality of work product.
- Ability to deal effectively with individuals at all organizational levels.
- Professional, personable, approachable and courteous demeanor.
- Creative, flexible, enthusiastic, innovative, and a can-do, no job is too small, team player attitude.
- Strong desire to learn the business and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.