Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
As Production Attorney for Vox Media, you will be responsible for a wide variety of legal matters related to production legal affairs. Daily tasks may include structuring, drafting, and negotiating a wide range of production-related documents, analyzing and interpreting contracts, and providing thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues in a wide range of legal areas, including intellectual property / copyright. You will also analyze and interpret contracts and provide thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues in a wide range of legal areas, including intellectual property/copyright.
This role is NY-based and may require occasional travel to our regional offices.
What you’ll do:
- Structure, draft, and negotiate production services and talent agreements (both above/below-the-line) for Production Studio, including showrunners, actors, writers, producers, directors, vendors, releases, music and asset licenses, and deal memos.
- Vet scripts and conduct watch-downs of video cuts for copyright/fair use, trademark, right of publicity, defamation, and clearance issues.
- Advise on day-to-day production issues (including music rights, guilds, clearance, and S&P)
- Partner with Vox Media’s creative and production teams to identify goals and help the teams to get where they want to go in a way that is consistent with Vox Media’s risk profile.
- Analyze and interpret contracts and provide thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues in a wide range of legal areas, including intellectual property, guild issues, working with minors, and content regulations
- Handle claims related to Vox Media Entertainment programming
- Mentor and train a team of in-house attorneys and clearance professionals, providing leadership and skill-sharing in all matters of legal production.
What you'll bring:
- Ideal candidate will have 5-8 years of experience at an entertainment law firm, network, studio, or production company. Must have substantial experience working with television production and networks; OTT network production experience a plus.
- Deep understanding of substantive areas of law related to television production, including copyright, trademark, right of publicity, labor, and privacy.
- Comfort with risk assessment and problem-solving, with an emphasis on thinking outside-the-box to suggest creative alternatives in tough situations.
- Ability to prioritize and provide quick turn-around for pre-air legal review of programming and related marketing materials.
- Experience navigating issues related to the various entertainment guilds.
- Experience working with synchronization, mechanical, and related music licensing deals.
- Strong work ethic and meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to lead and mentor, to work within a team to strengthen and grow skills and proficiency.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, negotiating skills, strong drafting abilities and a can-do, no job is too small, team attitude.
- Professional individual who can build strong relationships, both internally and externally, and is able to comfortably interact with all levels of employees.
- Law Degree from an Accredited University; bar admission that can be used in-house in New York State.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.