Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Vox Media is looking for a VP of Development who will be responsible for soliciting, ideating, creating, and developing longform non-scripted television series for sale and license to network clients and partners. The VP of Development will be the primary point of contact for internal and external unscripted ideas and development and will oversee a small non-scripted development team. This position will report to the Head of Vox Entertainment.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and execute original programming for network clients
- Find and create new unscripted ideas and shows
- Oversee creation of pitch materials including paper, decks, and sizzle reels
- Build and maintain relationships with producers, directors, and production companies
- Pitch ideas to Networks and other buyers
- Communicate the development strategy to the creative and network community
- Work closely with independent producers, agents, production company reps, talent, and internal storytellers to source, develop, package, sell, and produce original programming
What You'll Bring:
- A self-starter, who is assertive, enthusiastic, and highly motivated
- Strong relationships with Content Buyers, Agents, Producers, and Managers
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and relationship building skills
- Strong storytelling and hands-on production skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative, and high energy environment
- Team player who works well with others
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with a network or production company or related experience
- Minimum of 7 years working in television series development or related experience
- Knowledge of and interest in Vox Media content and target demographic.
- Comfortable in a high-growth, highly dynamic business environment.
- Willingness to work in Los Angeles or New York and be able to travel for work related productions
- Must be willing to travel and work overtime, and on weekends with short notice
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.