Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
SB Nation, the largest independent sports media network, is looking for a Deputy Editor to be a leader in both the strategic and creative components of SBNation.com. We want someone who can conceive, refine, and package dynamic sports coverage that resonates with both hardcore and casual fans and pushes the boundaries of sports journalism. If you’re driven to create content that rises above the fray, we’re looking for YOU.
This is a major-league job. The person in this position will help evolve the storytelling of SBNation.com and direct coverage across basketball. Our brand mission is to share all that’s compelling, weird, and inspiring about sports. We find new and original ways to appreciate sports, both as a source of stuff that has to be seen, and as stuff our audience needs to see anew. And we reach over 80 million people a month doing it, so the work you do in this job will be seen. A lot.
What you'll do:
- Manage and develop staff writers, senior reporters, and senior writers. Support talent development and identify areas that best showcase their individual voices. Collaborate with appropriate stakeholders to strategically launch and support these efforts.
- Lead the hiring process to identify, recruit and manage talent/creators for multiple platforms; assign stories to freelancers when appropriate. Will work with Executive Editor and EIC to directly manage headcount and monitor progress on strategic editorial goals (i.e. evolving news coverage, meeting audience growth goals, aligning with OTT opportunities, etc.)
- Manage sport editors to develop coverage. Oversee and approve weekly content planning. Assign, edit and distribute content according to growth strategy and mission statement.
- Reinforce and manage content workflow and programming of flagship sport pod, in collaboration with Executive Editor.
- Help manage sport budgets (feature, freelance, travel). Will monitor expenditures and will help guide decisions on increases to and reallocation of budgets in service of growth opportunities and quarterly business needs.
- Lead brainstorms with sport editors and talent to develop editorial tentpoles (calendar-driven and original) that deliver on SB Nation’s commitment to innovative, fan-first, digital storytelling. Work in conjunction with programming department to target audience growth windows.
- Collaborate with Executive Editor, Brand Marketing Director, Director of Sports Sponsorships, and Executive Producer of Video to program editorial calendar and create editorial packages that align flagship editorial with sales and marketing opportunities.
- Collaborate with senior editors to inform and evolve distribution and promotion strategies for content (in partnership with engagement editor and managing editor).
- Set and maintain consistent editorial practices and workflows including style usage, pre-publish workflow, supervising execution of programming, and ensuring overall quality of sport coverage.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.