Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. The Vox Media house of networks includes industry-leading media forces like SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode, Racked and Polygon, and reaches an audience of hundreds of millions, generating over a billion content views each month.
Eater DC, a publication obsessively covering restaurants in Washington, DC, seeks a tenacious journalist and manager to run the site, documenting everything interesting about the Washington, DC dining world.
The site both recommends where to eat and breaks news about the restaurant world — from high profile new openings to labor lawsuits to sexual misconduct in the industry. EDC also tracks trends and aims to be silly and provocative when it’s warranted.
What you'll do:
- Oversee the reporting, writing, and pitching of breaking news stories, reblogs, openings, and closings in DC
- Track openings and keep in touch with chefs, restaurateurs, and relevant spokespeople for coverage; assign this coverage and reporting out as needed
- Assign photographers for stories in a timely manner as needed
- Make connections with local restaurant PR, chefs, restaurateurs, and other staff to generate news leads and scoops
- Be the face of Eater DC to media, PR, and the industry at large
- Edit and/or write medium-length reports up to 1,000 words investigating a pertinent topic or issue occurring the restaurant scene
- Edit and write restaurant maps and roundups
- Lead EDC contributors and editors to greatness in news, larger narratives, and roundups
- Oversee social media presence across channels, including scheduling nights and weekends
- Grow and refine the Eater DC freelance base to help achieve desired results
- Attend all relevant staff meetings
What you'll bring:
- 2-3 years experience in journalism, particularly with experience covering a beat, developing sources, and breaking news
- Comfort with cold calling and fast pace of digital publishing
- A drive to beat the competition
- A drive to continue Eater’s reputation as the number one source for news about the restaurant world
- Attention for detail, news judgement, story packaging, and careful eye for accuracy
- Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, and social media publishing
- Management experience
- Experience covering business, real estate, or legal matters
- A love for restaurants
- Experience with photography is a plus
In your cover letter, please submit two to three examples of stories where you’re proud of the reporting regardless of the topic, as well as any relevant writing about food or restaurants.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.