Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. The Vox Media house of networks includes industry-leading media forces like SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode, Racked and Polygon, and reaches an audience of hundreds of millions, generating over a billion content views each month.
Curbed is seeking a full-time editor to run Curbed DC.
Are you in love with all things neighborhoods, design, development, and real estate? Are you a quick, efficient writer comfortable managing freelancers while turning out newsy stories all day long? If the answers are yes and yes, read on.
First, you need to live in Washington, D.C. and, at some deep level, love it. We're hoping to find a local who knows the ins and outs of neighborhoods, city issues, architecture, design, parks, photography, history, and urban planning, who keeps an eye on development projects and on-the-market properties in the places their readers live. Real-world reportorial experience is a must. Experience writing or producing local news coverage, or working for a design/shelter publication, is a plus.
Beyond reporting, the job involves daily writing and at least a passing interest in social media, as the gig involves some responsibilities in that sphere.
- 3+ years writing and/or editing for a digital publication
- Familiarity with Curbed, and the ability to master Curbed's editorial voice
- Experience with SEO practices and traffic analytics—and an enthusiasm to master the tools of the trade
- 1+ year publishing to and managing professional Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently—this is a fast-paced job!
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple simultaneous projects with various lead times
- An eye for news, an understanding of which stories work for Curbed, and the ability to see through PR jargon
- Knowledge of real estate development, architecture, and urban planning in Washington, D.C.
- Manage a daily publication schedule with a mix of news, features, and evergreen stories
- Manage Curbed DC’s social media account and engage with audience on those platforms when appropriate
- Stay on top of the news, strive to break news, and know when a story can be tied to something bigger
- Track and meet traffic goals
The ideal candidate:
- A self-starter who can thrive while working independently with limited supervision
- A team player who can work and learn from centralized team members in order to improve the national reach of Curbed DC
- A sharp-eyed editor who can vet pitches and assign/edit stories
If you've got a blog, Tumblr, Pinterest board, and/or post obsessively to Instagram or Twitter, please include links in your cover letter.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.