Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. The Vox Media house of brands includes industry-leading media forces like SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode, Racked and Polygon, and reaches an audience of hundreds of millions, generating over a billion content views each month.
Some of the most important, exciting and crucial news happens on weekends. The events on Saturday and Sunday — from protests and disasters to Sunday shows and the president's tweets — drive the news cycle, and the conversation, going into the week.
Vox.com is looking for a weekend editor to lead this coverage.
The weekend editor works with a dedicated weekend reporter on covering the biggest stories of the day, particularly in the world of politics. When our audience checks their phone on Saturday afternoon and wonders "Wait, WHAT just happened?!" the Vox.com weekend team should be ready to answer their question.
This is a part-time, hourly position with hours from 8 am to 4 pm Eastern on Saturdays and Sundays, with 1-2 hours of meetings and staff check-ins during the week and the opportunity for additional weekday hours in the evening.
We’re looking for someone with:
- At least two years’ experience editing, or equivalent
- Excellent news judgment
- A background in politics and policy, as well as interest in newsier stories on other beats
- An entrepreneurial and independent streak
- Concise and clever headline writing skills
- A demonstrated ability to bring analysis and sharp angles to daily news stories
- A strong understanding of the fast speed of web journalism and the importance of careful editing
- The proofreading instincts of a copy editor
- A sharp eye for SEO and social media savvy
- Assign and edit multiple posts per day from a dedicated weekend news writer
- Edit and copy edit stories from staff reporters on a variety of beats
- Vox values thinkers, creators and obsessives from all backgrounds. We encourage those with diverse and non-traditional experience to apply.
This position is remote, though Washington DC is preferred.
To apply, please submit a résumé, cover letter, and clips (clips can either be linked from your cover letter or included as additional pages to your cover letter).
Applications are due by noon on Friday, May 18th.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.