Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. The Vox Media house of networks includes industry-leading media forces like SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode, Racked and Polygon, and reaches an audience of hundreds of millions, generating over a billion content views each month.
SB Nation, your sports appreciation machine, is looking for a talented writer to help us push the boundaries of sports journalism and how we cover the NFL. Appreciation for pro football and a willingness to immerse yourself in it is a must. You should be comfortable tackling a wide range of topics, including the Xs and Os of the game, salary cap economics, data and statistics, the humorous and unusual happenings off the field and everything in between.
Our focus is using original voices to create engaging stories that speak directly to the passions of our audience. SB Nation is the fastest growing online sports media brand and the largest network of more than 300 individual fan-centric sports communities. We cover every aspect of the NFL and we want you to help make sure we're doing it in an innovative way.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Ability to write clearly, quickly and with attention to detail
- Experience covering the NFL
- Versatility and the ability to write about everything from short news blurbs to detailed features
- Experience finding the most interesting angles of a story and bringing unique ideas to the table
- Original reporting skills, i.e. experience obtaining police reports, conducting interviews, and establishing sources.
- The insight to tell a story with the pictures, data, or other visual assets
- An understanding of and a willingness to mine social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat for topical coverage
- Familiarity with analytics tools like CrowdTangle and Chartbeat to identify content that resonates with audience
- Photoshop and basic GIF-making skills are a plus, but not required
What you’d be doing:
- Writing a variety of stories, ranging from daily posts breaking down the latest NFL news and highlights, longer features, and more
- Providing live coverage of games and events, writing quickly and clearly about the big stories as they happen
- Generating ideas for stories and features
- Creating a variety of content designed to enrich the fan’s experience and perspective with the game
- Working closely with the editorial staff to identify unique angles and the best way to tell those stories
- Programming on Facebook, Twitter, Apple News and other platforms
- MUST be able to work Sundays
Position may be located in DC, New York or remote. This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience. To apply, send us 2 things you love about the NFL and one change you’d make (one sentence each), and share three examples of stories or projects that demonstrate your unique skills.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.