Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customers -high growth and innovative companies. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
Vouch is a Virtual First Workplace with office locations in SF, Chicago, and NYC. This role can be based anywhere in the U.S as long as you can work our Vouch core collaboration hours (8:30 am-2:30 pm Pacific Time.)
Vouch is looking for a Senior Staff Software Engineer to join the Vouch engineering leadership team. The Sr. Staff Engineer will be accountable for developing top-level systems design approach and business architecture for our insurance product definition and management platform. The ability for Vouch to rapidly design unique insurance products that meet the changing needs of tech companies is our secret sauce and we need an experienced systems design thinker to lead our evolution of this key technology and others. Vouch’s custom insurance policies are developed and launched on an in-house underwriting and pricing engine, enabling us to launch new insurance products and features in days, not months. Success in this role requires the ability to effectively engage with insurance experts across underwriting, actuary, and GTM to deeply understand the details of the insurance business and translate that understanding into effective systems designs and conceptual architecture to enable Vouch engineering teams to build smart and build fast toward our architectural vision.
- Research, document, and model the fundamental systems architecture or our insurance product management solutions.
- Identify, assess, and select technology solutions and software design patterns to be used at Vouch
- Work closely with internal Vouch stakeholders to understand insurance workflows and create flexible solutions that meet business objectives
- Mentor and encourage tech leads and staff engineers to refine their craft and grow their technical skills in systems design and architecture
- Have 12+ years of development experience
- Have experience building multiple distributed systems and migration to Service Oriented Architectures in a complex system environment
- Are proficient in multiple technologies such as Node, Ruby, Java, C++
- Master level proficiency at authoring UML, state-transition and other architectural documentation
- Have exceptional communication skills. You can effectively talk (and listen) to engineers, designers, product managers, executives, and other stakeholders
- Deep experience with complex data and entity modeling
- Highly proficiency with a variety of imperative programming architectural patterns with bonus points for basic ML/AI concepts and Production Rules paradigm
Tools & Technologies:
- Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Java (Scala, Kotlin), Python
- Terraform, Consul, Nomad, Docker
- Multiple RDBMS, Snowflake, Document DBs
- ML/AI frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
- Monthly Doordash credits ($80/month)
Vouch believes in putting our people first and building a diverse team is at the front of everything that we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. #LI-Remote