Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customers -high growth and innovative companies. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
What you will contribute:
Vouch Specialty is a new business unit being built inside of Vouch, starting small and growing over time. We are treating it like its own startup, with our own funding, board of directors, resources, and roadmap. We are still very much Vouch, but we think this structure will let us move even faster and be more nimble.
We are looking for an experienced engineer that gets excited about solving business problems with technology. You will be building software and also standing up and integrating new technology tools, systems, and processes. You will be getting in on the ground floor of a new and fast growing business unit and will be working closely with our operations team, insurance brokers, and a number of roles on the broader Vouch team. We are building and deploying technology to make our brokers faster, our customers’ better, and creating a streamlined experience between Vouch’s proprietary insurance products and products offered by other carriers and partners.
You’ll be building new services and integrations using some of the technologies listed below and investigating what new technologies we should adopt. You will also be working with (and helping us evaluate and launch) vendors and partners, and helping us figure out how to integrate a number of systems together in a seamless way. You provide solid technical leadership to the team and ensure we are continuously delivering high quality solutions needed to make our business successful.
We are a small team, so your work will have an immediate and direct impact on our success.
- Provide technical leadership (architecture, people, processes, product)
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, distributed systems, services, and UIs
- Lead large technical initiatives from idea to completion
- Support our insurance operations by working closely to understand insurance and sales processes and provide technical solutions and improvements
- Vet and recommend business critical technology partners
- Work closely and communicate with key external stakeholders, partners, and vendors in varying technical and non-technical roles
- Collaborate with cross functional (technical and non-technical) team members on problems and potential solutions
- Implement technology solutions and products to solve business problems
- Set technical direction and support the team in delivering ambitious goals
- Ensure technical solutions delivered by the team meet the quality and reliability threshold required for Vouch’s regulated and business critical product.
(including SOC2 compliance, tested, available, scalable, reliable, secure, etc)
What we look for in a candidate:
Our engineers must have exceptional empathy skills and high EQ. You’ll need to be able to effectively and compassionately speak with and listen to engineers, designers, product managers, executives, and other stakeholders. For this role, we are especially interested in someone who is excited to use any technology (whether you code it or we partner with an existing technology product) to solve business problems.
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of development experience
- Experience building business critical distributed systems and APIs as a product or platform
- Experience and understanding of modern software engineering best practices
- A desire and ability to work with cross functional teams to understand their needs and create and deliver solutions
- A desire and ability to work autonomously, make good, quick technology related decisions, and work on a variety of different types of projects
Nice to have:
- Exposure to and passion for early-stage startups and/or high growth environments
- A background in insurance or other regulated categories
Stack we use:
- TypeScript, Node.js, React, REST/GraphQL, Postgres (We are full stack but do quite a bit more backend and integration work than we do frontend/UI)
- CircleCI, Rollbar, Datadog, Serverless, Jest
- AWS (Lambdas, S3, dynamoDB)
- GitHub, Jira, Lucidchart, Figma
- Salesforce, Zendesk, Zapier,
- Other insurance and business tools
Put people first. Listen, challenge & grow. Face challenges head-on & win as a team. Serve clients with integrity and excellence.
These values are at the core of our day to day interactions and are essential attributes for all teammates we bring onboard. We live these out in very practical ways in our approach to work, collaboration, work-life balance, and goals. We are people above all else and strive to take care of each other, respect each other, and encourage each other to do our best work together.
Why you might want to join our team:
You enjoy building impactful applications in a quick-moving, supportive environment. Active learning through retrospectives and collaboration in a warm, high-trust culture motivates you to bring your whole self to work and grow as a person. Changing a broken industry by enabling entrepreneurs and founders to have delightful experiences with insurance excites you.
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
- Monthly Doordash credits ($80/month)
- Home office setup allowance ($500)
- At least 1 holiday day per month (16+ scheduled holidays in 2021)
Vouch believes in putting our people first and building a diverse team is at the front of everything that we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. #LI-Remote