Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customers -high growth and innovative companies. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
Would you like to play a critical role in the success of the next wave of world-changing startups? Are you excited about understanding the pace and evolution of the venture ecosystem? Would you like to contribute to a product that will redefine the risks founders can comfortably take on as they build from ideas into companies? Our mission at Vouch is to craft the best insurance for those building the future, and our Data Team is growing!
Data is existential to our company's success. We’re looking for an exceptional data engineer who lives and breathes data, who is passionate about pushing the startup ecosystem forward, and who is committed to the hard work necessary to continuously improve. Join our team and take part in (1) assembling the most comprehensive startup dataset in the world, (2) building robust self-serve tooling to answer questions that drive our business, and (3) shape fundamental aspects of our nascent data-driven culture.
You will be responsible for:
- Designing, building, and maintaining the data pipelines that feed our data warehouse from internal services, such as our insurance policy administration tools, underwriting models, or our CRM and marketing applications, as well as from third party systems.
- Working with our sales, marketing, product, and insurance teams to identify and integrate datasets from a variety of sources in our core knowledge graph to represent entities in the venture ecosystem, and to better understand startups' insurable risks.
- Collaborating with engineering teams to build cloud-native integrations, frameworks, and applications to join data across operational systems and data repositories to drive business decisions.
- Specifying and instrumenting new logging events to produce insights into our customers' experience using our products.
- Establishing best practices to ensure scalable data processing solutions, as well as researching and implementing efficient mechanisms for data access.
- Surprise us! Many applicants will have an MS or BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field OR equivalent practical experience in data engineering
- 3+ years experience as a software engineer with focus on data infrastructure, distributed computing, or delivering data services
- You can effectively talk (and listen) to engineers, designers, marketers, executives, and other stakeholders.
- Experience with Python; deep familiarity with the Python standard library and commonly-used patterns for RDBMS integration and delivering RESTful APIs
- Knowledgeable about software development best practices with a focus on testing, reliability and maintainability
- Experience with data modeling and SQL, including solid knowledge of various datastores and their tradeoffs (RDBMS’s, NoSQL, etc)
- Experience with data transformation tooling, such as Pandas, Spark, dbt, etc.
- Experience with Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery or other data warehousing solutions
- Experience with Stitch, FiveTran, or other ETL integration tools
- Experience with Airflow, Oozie or other task orchestration/scheduling engines
- Pragmatic, not letting “the perfect” be the enemy of “the good”
- Comfortable taking ownership of projects, breaking down work into smaller manageable tasks to share with other engineers, and balancing scope/timeline commitments with stakeholders.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with Node.js, Typescript, Ruby on Rails
- Experience working with marketing automation APIs (Salesforce, Marketo, Hubspot, Apollo, Pardot, Iterable, etc)
- Experience using serverless frameworks
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
- Monthly Doordash credits ($80/month)
Vouch believes in putting our people first and building a diverse team is at the front of everything that we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com.