Business insurance is failing the modern founder. Brokers are selling the same old policies. At Vouch, we’re fixing insurance and risk solutions for startups and founders with tailored insurance designed for technology startups. With new and innovative ideas, we are delivering the right insurance and risk solutions for our customers.
Vouch is a new technology-first insurance provider, backed by $100M from Y Combinator, Ribbit Capital, SVB, and Index Ventures. Like Stripe for payments, Gusto for payroll and benefits, Vouch is creating the go-to risk management and insurance platform for founders and the companies they’re building.
As an insurance company, data is at the core of everything we do at Vouch. Data and analysis are critical to improving insurance design, underwriting, and outcomes for our clients. Data also drives our business operations and our financial decisions. As a Data Analyst at Vouch, you’ll have the unique opportunity to build the foundational data structure, tools, and models to help all of our Finance and Insurance functions become increasingly data-driven. You will be part of the Finance team and sit cross-functionally working closely with data engineers and product managers that work across all of our functions. You will work with our Finance team to build the finance data model, business logic and allocations support financial modeling and reporting; Insurance team to support model risk factors, partner with our Product team to develop insight and recommendations for the customer experience, and team up with our Business Operations team to build key data sets and dashboards.
The ideal candidate is someone that equally loves spending time at the intersection of Finance and Data Analysis / Engineering, someone that is just as comfortable spending a day in Excel modeling as in coding SQL / Python or data visualization tools. The role is perfect for someone that wants to get into the messy details of data cleansing and ETL to build the foundation and structure for the Finance team at Vouch and grow to build an analytics foundation on top. This role provides a phenomenal opportunity to be the first Finance team data hire and leverage knowledge and experience as well as continue learning and teaching others at Vouch.
- Analyze a wide variety of data - structured and unstructured, observational and experimental - to improve Vouch’s financial, insurance, and operational data infrastructure and financial systems
- Build models and templates that can be used to ETL or ingest, translate, and create data for Vouch to be able to manage, review and analyze profitability
- Work across Finance, Business, and Insurance teams to define key metrics, develop dashboards, track metric progress, investigate changes in metrics, and propose next steps
- Learn, recommend and teach new data skills, tools, methods, and APIs
- Influence Finance, Business, and Insurance teams through presentation of data-based recommendations
- Build key data sets to empower stakeholders to perform their own analysis
- Help scale the business by turning one-off analyses into automated processes via high-quality code
- Enhance and contribute to the team’s core analysis and modeling systems and libraries
- Advise finance, engineering, product, and insurance teams on sound statistical practices
- 4+ years of experience working as a data analyst, management information systems analyst, financial analyst, actuarial analyst, data engineer, or business analyst
- Experience working in an insurance or financial services company or consulting in the insurance or financial services industries
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in statistics, math, economics, computer science, finance, accountancy, actuarial science, or equivalent practical experience
- Expert SQL skills, strong skill in an ETL or statistical modeling language (such as Python or R), and experience with BI tools (Tableau, Looker, etc.)
- Advanced Excel and/or VBA skills
- Understands the strengths and shortcomings of different data structure and modeling techniques, including when to use or avoid them
- Strong communication skills and the ability to explain complex analyses to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience working directly with business teams to define metrics, analyze problems, and propose solutions
Nice to have:
- Computer Science and/or Data Engineering experience
- Financial systems implementation or integration experience
- Familiarity with NetSuite and/or Snowflake
- Experience working in high growth startup or fast-paced environment
- Experience applying a variety of statistical and modeling techniques such as generalized linear modeling, regularization, ensemble models (e.g., random forest, gradient boosting), Bayesian analysis methods
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
- Monthly Doordash credits ($80/month)
Vouch believes in putting our people first and building a diverse team is at the front of everything that we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.