Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company, backed with $100M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customer -high growth and innovative companies. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
To deliver on this exciting category-defining product we are seeking a creative, motivated and innovative commercial P&C leader to oversee our underwriting practice for property and general liability.
As a key member of the Insurance Operations team, you will play an integral role in shaping our underwriting strategy. You will be responsible for delivering underwriting targets for all property and general liability policies, including BOP and commercial package. You will be responsible for delivering underwriting guidelines aligned to the Vouch underwriting strategy, technical insurance expertise and guidance, ongoing risk assessments and underwriting changes, all to support our mission of crafting the best insurance for those building the future.
Specific activities and responsibilities may include:
- Monitor and manage underwriting risk to deliver target loss ratio (PLR) all while supporting the unique strategy and model of Vouch - implement underwriting changes as needed (in coordination with Underwriting Operations and other functions)
- Ongoing development of and maintenance of underwriting guidelines
- Ensure adherence to underwriting guidelines - Implement appropriate controls (can be in coordination with Underwriting Operations) such as letter of authority, audits, or procedural changes
- Act as subject matter expert in development of new programs and technical internal training - develop underwriting guidelines for new programs and filing updates
- Manage account underwriting decisions in accordance with underwriting guidelines and Vouch service level standards
- Develop and drive filing updates for mature products (18 to 24 months post launch) that:
- contain meaningfully unique features perceived as highly valuable by tech startups;
- allows vouch to grow and serve a high % of the market;
- solve for the basic insurance needs of tech startups; and
- are designed to produce an acceptable underwriting profit (PLR).
- 5+ years experience in commercial P&C Underwriting - Direct underwriting experience and technical understanding of property, general liability and related lines, including BOP and commercial package.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment with the ability to develop underwriting guidelines that integrate the customer’s perspective, user experience concepts, auto decision orientation and our go to market strategy.
- Experience building or working with underwriting guidelines
- Adept at bringing creative insurance ideas to solve ambiguous problems
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects in a dynamic environment with the ability to prioritize high impact work
- Bachelor’s Degree
Nice to Have:
- Startup experience or fast paced environment
- Experience underwriting software, hardware or life science industry classes
Vouch believes in putting our people first and building a diverse team is at the front of everything that we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.