Director, Software Engineering
Location: Either London or Remote in Europe
Vonage Engineering Mission: We embody the notion of be what’s next now! We envision, develop and manage technology to connect the world. Our team brings excellence, passion, creativity and curiosity to the job. We look at the business environment and technologies in new and challenging ways, striving to develop and deliver integrated whole-system solutions to meet our customers’ ever-changing needs.
Why this role matters
Our Software Engineers are building the infrastructure and business logic for the next generation of unified communication platforms. We work cross-functionally to understand business requirements, evaluate alternative approaches and ensure software and systems are accessible and easy to use. We live on the leading edge of system and component design, developing solutions that serve millions of users and businesses all over the world.
We are looking for someone to lead, grow and manage this, providing the VP of Engineering with the support he needs as we grow rapidly to meet demand. You'll be someone who can flex between the strategic and operational management aspects of the position, but are equally happy rolling up your sleeves to get stuck in to assist your teams with difficult architectural, coding and/or broader development issues from time to time as required. As such you'll have a keen interest in and knowledge of current programming tools, languages, frameworks and architecture.
What you will do
- Lead and manage a multi-team software engineering capability across multiple, linked API development areas and products.
- Contribute to the definition of long-term software development and application strategies.
- Consolidate and rationalize customer requirements into effective software architecture for use by engineers and teams.
- Drive execution of solution development through resource allocation and management.
- Ensure delivery of secure, high quality, well-tested and scalable software to meet customer and business requirements.
- Engage with customers, end users and business partners to understand problems and issues with software development and deployment; ensure issues are resolved in a timely and sustainable fashion.
- Contribute to strategic initiatives for the Engineering organization
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with all functions of Vonage to drive the achievement of goals effectively.
- Set the standard, act as a role model and provide leadership for all interactions with employees and managers within Vonage.
- Build highly motivated teams, while providing strong leadership, mentorship and career development strategies for each team member.
- Manage, motivate, recruit and retain an experienced, world-class Engineering team.
- Establish and drive a sense of community within the Engineering teams.
- Implement departmental policies, procedures and quality standards to ensure the highest levels of performance, customer satisfaction and security.
What we value:
- Being disruptive. Getting things done. With smart people. Enjoying knowing that the work we do is having a global impact by enabling never before imagined communications.
- We have big goals, and we want the people who join us to be self-confident, focused on customers and delivery, and who are structured and committed in their approach. We iterate quickly, we fail fast, we take smart chances. We value those who will help us continue this spirit
- Values matter at Vonage. We are on a mission to bring value for consumers and enterprises through global cloud based communications.
- But just as important as delivering value is how we deliver that value.
- We believe in integrity. Both personally and professionally. We believe in empowering our employees and are actively seeking entrepreneurs in training who want to help build something larger.
- We have gotten to this point by being committed, passionate, and focused on getting things done. We need more people like us. If this appeals to you then we encourage you to apply
What you will bring
- Significant experience in management of software engineering teams - ideally managing through other managers
- Experience with large scale public cloud infrastructure - ideally AWS
- Solid project management experience, ability to prioritise and manage multiple work streams in conjunction with product management
- Strong understanding of software architecture, practices and principles with the ability to articulate complex technical information to a wide variety of audiences
- Past experience as an individual contributor with high impact - ideally with technical experience in any of the following:
- Java, Go or Node.js
- SQL & NoSQL Databases
- Multi-threaded, 3-tier architectures, web services and caching
- RESTful APIs
- Networking IP/TCP/UDP/HTTP
- IaaS tools and public cloud (Terraform)
- Container management (K8)
- Know how to identify risks and threats in current and emerging technologies, procedures, features and operations
- Experience driving decision-making processes to achieve consensus on complex technical and process issue resolution
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to mentor, coach and train