About the Team
The WebRTC API team brings the Vonage Video platform to life for developers. By defining and implementing customer-facing APIs, this team gives developers an intuitive and simple way to embed real time audio and video into their applications. We partner closely with the Vonage Client SDK and Media Routing teams to make sure all video features have an elegant interface and are easy to adopt. Security and scalability is part of our everyday thinking.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to implement full features for the Vonage Video platform as well as public APIs that provision services and enable features developed by other teams. You will work across the engineering organization to lead API reviews. You will work with the Vonage Product Management team to map business requirements to technical requirements, create engineering designs, and develop software solutions. Your success will come from mastering the Vonage platform APIs and using that knowledge to provide solutions to our customer’s hardest problems.
- Develop APIs and services that combine media captured in real time with machine learning models to deliver innovative features for Vonage customers.
- Design and implement new features and strategies to improve scalability and stability of components in our platform.
- Build REST APIs that will enable and drive features across both control and media plane components in our platform.
- Improve development efficiency and scalability by re-engineer code to transform monoliths into micro-services.
- Be a champion of developer experience by using your knowledge of API-based application development to define and build applications that help customers and internal teams.
- Establish software development methods for the team that are consistent with other engineering practices at the company.
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, product managers, and business stakeholders
- Become accomplished with data analysis tools so that you can visualize application performance and automate problem solving.
- Mentor other engineers for software engineering best practices.
Qualities you possess
- Expertise in Java and experience with other languages used for server-side development
- You write code that you would be proud to have open sourced
- You have experience working with machine learning models to deliver customer-facing applications
- Capacity to relate to our developer community and understand what they need to be successful with the platform
- Good understanding of algorithms, data structures, memory management, and concurrency
- Experience building distributed systems or backend services
- MS or BS in Computer Science or a related technical field
- 3 -5 years experience working on backend systems, with excellent debugging and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate professionally with peers and customers
- You are willing and able to learn independently and from your peers
- Experience deploying applications with AWS cloud technologies
- Experience working with centralized logging and data pipeline technologies such as Kafka and ElasticSearch
- Ability to lead and follow. This position requires ownership of design and implementation of platform components
- Ability to follow established standards and methods when contributing to other platform components
Nice to Have
- Experience with architecting load balancers to distribute load across stateful servers
- Experience with Go Lang
- Experience with WebRTC, RTP, XMPP, SIP, media codecs is a plus
- Experience with Chef, ElasticCache and Kubernetes is a plus
This is a hands-on technical software development position that involves working on advanced server technologies. We are looking for strong candidates with real-world experience designing and delivering high-capacity high-performance services. Position title will be commensurate with candidate’s experience and qualifications.
What's in it for you
In addition to providing exciting work, career advancement opportunities, and a collaborative work environment, Vonage provides competitive pay and benefits including unlimited discretionary time off and tuition reimbursement.
Note: The purpose of this profile is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for the position and is not meant as an exhaustive list. Assignments may differ for individuals within the same role based on business conditions, departmental need or geographic location.