Vonage Engineering Mission: Vonage London is the emerging leader in the $100B+ cloud communications platform (CPaaS) market. Customers like Airbnb, Viber, Whatsapp, Snapchat, and many others depend on our APIs and SDKs to connect with their customers all over the world. As businesses continue to shift to a real-time, customer-centric communications model, we are experiencing a time of impressive growth.
Why this role matters
The Engineering team at Vonage is a fast growing group of talented engineers. Our Engineers face multiple challenges associated with high performance, distributed systems, and processing large volumes of data in real time.
The SMS API team (link to the product here) is looking for Staff Software Engineer to work on our high-performance Kafka-driven system using the latest Java and serverless technologies. The stack is Java (including Java 15), Spring Boot, Kafka, AWS and we are looking at how Terraform and Kubernetes will be used moving forward.
A Staff Software Engineer is responsible for leading projects and since the team work with the mentality of the best solution wins - there is lots of opportunity to influence and be involved in technical decision making. We also expect the Staff Software Engineers to be guardians of high code standards and be advocates for code quality. This is very much a hands-on role - so a strong passion for coding is a must!
IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOU, CONTINUE READING BELOW…….
What you will do
- Play a lead role in design and development efforts for significant initiatives within major business areas.
- Independently design, develop, test and document moderately complex software systems and applications.
- Collaborate with analysts, peers and other stakeholders on projects to develop highly complex systems
- Bring your expertise to bear in helping move the team’s capabilities forward: by providing Q&A and peer review for fellow developers and by developing system alterations and designs to enhance existing technologies.
- Envision innovating disruptive technologies and collaborate with in-house experts to bring your vision to life.
- Lead efforts to define and support coding standards.
- Train, mentor and develop other Software Engineers
What we value:
- Being disruptive. Getting things done. With smart people. Enjoying knowing that the work we do is having a global impact by enabling never before imagined communications.
- We have big goals, and we want the people who join us to be self-confident, focused on customers and delivery, and who are structured and committed in their approach. We iterate quickly, we fail fast, we take smart chances. We value those who will help us continue this spirit
- Values matter at Vonage. We are on a mission to bring value for consumers and enterprises through global cloud based communications.
- But just as important as delivering value is how we deliver that value.
- We believe in integrity. Both personally and professionally. We believe in empowering our employees and are actively seeking entrepreneurs in training who want to help build something larger.
- We have gotten to this point by being committed, passionate, and focused on getting things done. We need more people like us. If this appeals to you then we encourage you to apply.
What you will bring
- Strong Java knowledge - building microservices using Java 8+
- Demonstrable technical leadership experience - can show you have been at the helm of delivering technical change
- Public cloud knowledge - we are building services in AWS
- Experience of multi-threaded, 3-tier architectures, web services and caching
- A familiarity with SQL & NoSQL databases
- Flexible with the ability to adapt working style to meet objectives
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with team members
What is in it for you
- Unlimited paid holidays
- Matched pension
- Life assurance
- Income Protection
- Cycle to work scheme
- Payroll Giving for Charities
- Season Ticket Loan
- Private Medical
- Dental & Eye Cover
- Gym Membership Loan
- Extended Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Career progression
- Flexible working hours
- Industry conferences as a team or individual
- Free snacks and food
- Friday beer o’clock
- Work laptop
- Secure bicycle storage