Vonage Engineering Mission: Vonage London is the emerging leader in the $100B+ cloud communications platform (CPaaS) market. Customers like Airbnb, Viber, Whatsapp, Snapchat, and many others depend on our APIs and SDKs to connect with their customers all over the world. As businesses continue to shift to a real-time, customer-centric communications model, we are experiencing a time of impressive growth.
Why this role matters
Do you like building infrastructure platforms for other software engineers? Do you love making complex systems easy to use, resilient, and scalable? That’s what we do!
Platform SREs at Vonage design and build the underlying systems on which other teams build our services. We do everything from scaling database platforms and automating metrics collection across several thousand servers to building automation that allows engineers to release faster—across multiple AWS regions. Most importantly, we create powerful and flexible interfaces for engineers making them easy to use while keeping them highly available and performant. Our systems power Vonage’s mission-critical communications API.
If this sounds like you, join the team that is empowering Vonage’s engineers to build and maintain some impressive features!
IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOU, CONTINUE READING BELOW…….
What you will do
- Develop tools and automate processes to provide a resilient and powerful platform for other software engineers
- Write software and documentation, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers
- Debug and solve complex issues across distributed systems and software that power Vonage
- Use tools like Kubernetes, Terraform, Prometheus and Puppet to manage and build the underlying infrastructure on top of AWS
- Participate in on-call rotation
What you will bring
- Strong knowledge of systems and application design with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs
- Fluency in Ruby, Python, Golang, Java, or a similar language—familiarity with more than one is a plus
- Experience operating web-scale deployments of distributed systems, e.g., Kubernetes, Kafka.
- Experience using and operating Linux and containerization technologies e.g. Docker
- The ability to tenaciously track down complex bugs and debug unfamiliar systems
- Strong understanding of operating systems, file systems, and networking
- Exposure to cloud computing services like AWS, Azure, etc.
- Understanding of configuration management tools (e.g., Puppet, Chef, Ansible) and monitoring (e.g. Sensu, Prometheus)
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
What is in it for you
- Unlimited paid holidays
- Matched pension
- Life assurance
- Income Protection
- Cycle to work scheme
- Payroll Giving for Charities
- Season Ticket Loan
- Private Medical
- Dental & Eye Cover
- Gym Membership Loan
- Extended Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Career progression
- Flexible working hours
- Industry conferences as a team or individual
- Free snacks and food
- Friday beer o’clock
- Work laptop
- Secure bicycle storage
- Discounts in London attractions through TasteCard Loan and BUPA, the medical provider
- Social meet ups (hackathon, tech talks, engineering happy hour, ping pong championship for businesses in Shoreditch, etc)