What we value:
Being disruptive. Getting things done with smart people. Enjoying knowing that the work we do is having a global impact by enabling never before imagined communications.
We have big goals, and we want the people who join us to be self-confident, focused on customers and delivery, and who are structured and committed in their approach. We iterate quickly, we fail fast, we take smart chances. We value those who will help us continue this spirit.
Reporting to Sr Director Software Engineering Nexmo, who reports in turn to the CTO, this role will lead a significant part of the Nexmo Software engineering organization.
Our Software Engineers are building the infrastructure and business logic for the next generation of unified communication platforms. We work cross-functionally to understand business requirements, evaluate alternative approaches and ensure software and systems are accessible and easy to use. We live on the leading edge of system and component design, developing solutions that serve millions of users and businesses all over the world.
We are looking for someone to lead, grow and manage this, providing our Engineering Sr Director with the support he needs as we grow rapidly to meet demand. You'll be someone who can flex between the strategic and operational management aspects of the position, but are equally happy rolling up your sleeves to get stuck in to assist your teams with difficult coding and/or broader development issues from time to time as required. As such you'll have a keen interest in and knowledge of current programming tools, languages, frameworks and architecture.
- Lead and manage a multi-team software engineering capability across multiple, linked API development areas and products.
- Contribute to the definition of long-term software development and application strategies.
- Consolidate and rationalize customer requirements into effective roadmaps for use by engineers and teams.
- Drive execution of solution development through resource allocation and management.
- Ensure delivery of secure, high quality, well-tested and scalable software to meet customer and business requirements.
- Engage with customers, end users and business partners to understand problems and issues with software development and deployment; ensure issues are resolved in a timely and sustainable fashion.
- Contribute to strategic initiatives for the Engineering organizations
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with all functions of VG to drive the achievement of goals effectively.
- Set the standard, act as role model and provide leadership for all interactions with employees and managers within VG.
- Build highly motivated teams, while providing strong leadership, mentorship and career development strategies for each team member.
- Manage, motivate, recruit and retain an experienced, world-class Engineering team.
- Establish and drive a sense of community within the Engineering teams.
- Implement departmental policies, procedures and quality standards to ensure the highest levels of performance, customer satisfaction and security.
Key Experience & Skills
- Significant experience in management of software development organizations (20+ people, managing other managers)
- Diverse managerial experience, ideally across a range of large, through to start-up, organizations
- Background and hands-on capabilities in software and systems engineering
- Experience in product development with cross-functional teams
- Past experience as an individual contributor with high impact
- Experience working on large scale platform (PaaS or SaaS) is a big plus
- Experience of multi-threaded, 3-tier architectures, web services and caching
- Familiarity with databases, Sql and NoSql experience
- Experience of developing in a Unix/Linux environment, including basic sys-admin and scripting (shell, perl)
- Ability to define, articulate and drive the vision, strategy, architecture, design and implementation of complex, large scale software systems.
- Able to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a wide variety of audiences.
- Identify risks and threats in current and emerging technologies, procedures, features and operations.
- Drive decision-making processes to achieve consensus on complex technical and process issue resolution.
- Develop technical and process skills in others.
- Excellent communication (good written and spoken English) and analytical skills
- Outstanding people management skills including, strong track record of managing and building high performing teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to mentor, coach and train.