At Volta, we’re on a mission to accelerate the adoption of the electric vehicle. Volta creates city-wide free electric vehicle charging networks in major metropolitan areas. Our charging networks are free-to-use, free to our property partners, and monetized through brand sponsorships and digital media content.
The Cloud Team
Is responsible for all internal and external API creation, documentation, deployment, and maintenance. We are also responsible for developing tools and processes to improve deployment efficiency for all teams that deploy to the cloud. We value creativity, curiosity, and taking ownership. This is an opportunity to lead a team in cutting-edge cloud technologies as we scale.
This is an opportunity to make an impact in a number of ways in our Engineering department and the evolution of the company itself. You will be a principal code contributor and own the technical aspects of infrastructure and services running in the cloud for this role. Our services ingest and expose data on a variety of interfaces like our internal web application, automated reporting mechanisms, and the multi-platform Volta mobile app. You will have the opportunity to own several cloud services that support the day-to-day operations of the Volta charging fleet.
- Lead by example with humility, engender respect, and build trust
- Implement solutions predominantly on AWS using CloudFormation, NodeJS Lambda functions, SNS, DynamoDB, PostgreSQL
- Design, implement, and test APIs to handle events from our fleet of charging stations
- Identify ways to optimize data ingestion as our pipeline scales
- Provide a concise and consolidated view of the state of our platform in real time for logging and alerting
- Architect and build APIs to expose data to stakeholders via GraphQL and REST endpoints
- Support open standards initiatives like OCPI and OCPP for data transmission
- Build internal code promotion tooling to coordinate feature releases in parallel and remove bottlenecks/blockers from day-to-day developer experience
- Be the in-house expert/liaison on infrastructure-as-code tooling as we introduce new cloud deployment technologies
- Mentor and guide the team on cloud tools and distributed architecture best practices, and review code with empathy
- 10+ years relevant working experience
- 5+ years experience deploying to Amazon Web Services
- Bachelor’s Degree or demonstrable knowledge of the field
- Expert level Node.js and familiarity with modern ECMAScript features
- Experience troubleshooting AWS Lambda execution with CloudWatch or other tools
- Experience with microservice architectures and managing evolving patterns as systems scale
- Proficiency with partitioning, schema, and query design for relational and document databases—we use PostgreSQL and DynamoDB
- Experience with CI/CD systems and building out deployment workflows across dev, staging, and production (we use CircleCI with GitHub)
- Interest in researching and experimenting with new technologies outside of core responsibilities
- Proficiency with Linux command line and utilities
- Well versed in all aspects of internet plumbing—DNS, HTTP, WebSockets, TLS certificates, et al
- Experience with services orchestration/choreography tools (Terraform)
- Experience building internal code promotion tooling
- Passionate about the Electric Vehicles, renewable energy, and the future of transportation
As a Volta team, we are building an inclusive culture where everyone can feel safe to share their thoughts and opinions without judgment; a team where representation and development matter, and differences are valued. We strive to challenge the status quo, go beyond the numbers, and put in the work needed for Volta to be a leader in diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.